You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:54 am 

This might seem like a dumb quesiton.

My son, who is now 2 years, 4 months was dx with severe milk allergy @ 1 year.

He is anaphylactic.

He also is allergic to egg whites, halibut fish (both confirmed).

Non confirmed allergies (haven't had appt yet) are strawberries, raspberries, sesame and sunflower- all of these have produced a rash around the mouth- I know I'm right on the money as he had the same 'rash' with the eggs and fish. I did not give him sunflower 'seeds' it was the sunflower oil in regular potato chips.

I can totally see the 'theme' here with the last 4 (seeds). And obviously, we are NOT giving him nuts (or shellfish) under the advice of the pediatric allergist.

And here is my dumb question(s):

Is the likelihood greater to be allergic to nuts because he obviously has a 'seed' problem?

And

Why on earth would his allergies 'come out' all at the same time (roughly)? What i mean is that the egg and fish roughly, after eating them numerous times without a problem, came out at almost the same time. Is this typical?

And all these seed issues have been in the last month or 2. And he's had raspberries and strawberries without problem numerous times. And sesame and sunflower oil.

..one more: Likelihood of outgrowing some of these (I doubt the milk, and that's fine) considering his young age- or are these likely to be permanent because he's 'developed' them after numerous exposures..??

The allergist seemed shocked when I told him I had given him scrambled eggs numerous times before without reaction.

Thanks so so much!

PS I have a 4 year old that we are convinced he has food sensitivities (not outright allergies).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
In allergic individuals, a food protein is mistakenly identified by the immune system as being harmful. The first time the individual is exposed to such a protein, the body's immune system responds by creating antibodies called immunoglobulin E (IgE). When the individual is exposed again to the same food protein, IgE antibodies and chemicals such as histamine are released.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/al ... ex-eng.php
So the first time, you aren't allergic yet. You can develop the allergy at any time. It appears that when your child was in a state of being receptive to developing allergies, his body developed several at once. You can develop allergies as an adult, too.

What's a person to do? It's not like we can just stop eating.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:09 am 

seeds and nuts do sometimes go toether for some people.

and for some odd reason , I have met at least 3 adults and a couple of teens who display coconut problems, as well as peanut.
but I think thats the case as you can be allergic to any food in the world, and why not coconut if your bod is that way inclined!?

however, if your are peanut allergic you may be more allergic to other foods in that group such as beans. Rather than the seed allergies.

but in food groups ( outside milk ) its rare to be totally allergic to a complete whole group . so , for instance my son who was once alllergic to all beans, can eat peas, and green beans.
and some can eat baked beans, but not peas!
we are all to some extent individual allergic people.

seed allergies are on the rise, as well as fruit allergies, its just the nasty human swing of things on a globel rise.

We recently have had the strange problem of avoiding 'vascoative aminines'
and foods like strawberries etc are on that list.
however , my son has had times when he can enjoy these foods.
It depends on the histamine level in the foods, so a mildly ripe strawberry is ok, a really ripe one is not.
so a wide diet is not a easy thing to achive at this time. :(

then there is the common problem of seasons causing problems, so a tree pollen person ( like my son) might find eating some fruit during this time is a problem.

a high rate of outgrowing is still there for pre-school children, milk and then egg for some.
if you have reached the stage when scrambled egg is not causing a problem you can relax a great deal !! ( am jealous here)

i wouldnt assume a seed allergy without a bit of medical support, as foods can be cross contiminated with others.

exposures are not the cause of outgrowing when you are considering a persons allergies, its more of a immune system developement for some. esp young children.

the latest cures being studied are on traces on increasing scale, but this is still dangerous and anaphylaxis does occur on these trials.

So, its best to avoid , when a real allergy is found.
that said mistaken exposure doenst mean that outgrowing is not possible.
allergy is a complicated area, and much is unknown and every allergic person is individdual.

currently we are facing the normal events in a persons life , which are having a massive impact on allergy status. the teenage hormones have created a child with a highly sensitive level of trip wires, ..................he is reacting to others eating food around him, and we have a as yet unknown cause of anaphylaxis .