You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:16 pm 

While trying not to be paranoid and overly anxious I am find it very difficult lately, who am I kidding, I've had a hard time for 9 month now with our little guys allergies. He is 14 months this week and at an age where he touches everything . This is terrifying for us as all his very severe reactions so far have been from trace alone. I finally felt like I had things under control with his allergies when he reacted and needed epinephrine after his MMR vaccine last week. I have tried to be calm and see it as 'just the way life is now' but the Mommy in me finds it all very emotional. To top it all off 8 weeks ago he became asthmatic. This means on top of a new health issue he nor I have slept in almost 2 months.
I am terrified for our son yet I also feel guilty as so many parents deal with far greater and more devastating health issues.
Any tips for a toddler with allergies/asthma?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

You are going through what most of us go through, don't feel guilty, just breathe.

Know that it will get easier. Your son is at an age when everything goes into his mouth. He has limitted language skills so you really have to pick up on his symptoms.

Think about how he is normally, his colour, his mood, his energy level. My daughter still has trouble telling if her asthma is bad (I think it just always seems hard to breathe :( ) she doesn't think about it. I can tell it's getting bad if she is quieter, more lethargic and more clingy. At 14 months I would have suspected it if she cried a lot and wanted to be carried. At night, I could tell it was bad because she would sweat from the work it took just to breathe.

With the allergies, you wil need to control as much as possible. Carry lots of wipes and possibly and change of clothes for him. I carried a thin beach blanket. I used it under her as a protective layer and it also came in handy as a blanket, face cloth and towel, sun shade, pillow, toy etc.

You can purchase covers to put on shopping carts when he sits in them. I found that strategic tears in a flyer produced a fine disposable cover for the seat and I wiped down the handle.

Beware of high chairs at restaurants. They are covered in food residue. If he must use one, hope he is in long pants or use a few napkins as a barrier.

Know that the first year is the hardest, so your more than half way through it! Think ahead to festive gatherings. Not everyone will understand. Bring his food and don't let anyone feed him anything else.

You're not overly anxious, you're a good mother who is doing her best. Be good to yourself and take it easy. You need to keep up your energy so that you can look after your son.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:43 pm 

It is not to early to help your little one understand what is going on, and how to help stay safe. Explain that some foods can make his tummy sick, or make it hard to take a deep breath, or whatever his symptom is....so mommy likes to wipe the food off of chairs before you sit in them. And mommy likes to see what is in your food before you eat it. Because it's no fun to feel yucky. (This is more effective if done while he is having a mild reaction. "OHH...that itches. I'll bet there was something on that handle that made you itch. Remember to let me wipe it off first so that you don't get itchy." Don't try it with major reactions, just take care of him.) Keep it light, you don't want it to be scary, just enough that he starts to understand that it is not a good idea to eat everything off the floor, or from friends, or whatever, before he asks mommy. And he may start to be be patient enough to let you swipe surfaces off really quick. Again, keep it light, but allow him to understand that he can help avoid feeling yucky by letting mommy or daddy check it out first. I found it much easier to relax once my little one hit the point of remembering to check with mommy first.

It will get easier. It is ok to feel overwhelmed some days. There are still days when you can hear me mumble how nice it would be to just order a pizza! You can do it.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:56 am 

I feel like I'm going to throw up, the pediatric allergist just called and feels very very strongly that our little guy's reaction to the MMR was from the gelatin component. He is going to re-test in January so until then we must avoid all gelatin, of course eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, legumes, exotic fruit, sesame.........................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't even know what to think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:29 am 

Hugs to you. It really isn't easy dealing with all this, and having more allergens added to the mix. I think most, if not all parents of allergic kids feel overwhelmed the first several months. I know I was teary and really stressed out when we first found out about my daughter's peanut allergy. I was grieving the loss of her having a carefree lifestyle, being able to eat in restaurants without asking questions, eating food at birthday parties, go to sporting events without having to worry about people eating shelled peanuts all around her. And because my DH was more carefree about it, I felt like I was shouldering all the stress to keep her safe.

Everyone says that it *does* get easier, and that is true. We found out a few months ago that my son is allergic to tree nuts, and since we were already in 'allergy mode', it made it so much easier the 2nd time around.

I think with allergies, it's a bit of a rollercoaster. First you get stressed with diagnosis, then you read up on brands, get tips from other parents, get into a routine and things are OK. Then a change takes place like going to a new school, daycare or babysitter and the stress level goes up again. It's totally normal and understandable. If someone tells you you're over-reacting (even if it's another allergic parent), don't listen to them. You know your own comfort level and your child better than anyone - you have a right to feel this way. With me, my MIL told me I was overreacting on the 1st day of the diagnosis, and I was so angry that I felt like telling her off. DH has since told her how serious it is and she hasn't said anything else, but just that first while, I found myself in tears several times.

I know it must be even harder with the asthma and the additional allergens that get added to your list. Is there an anaphylaxis support group near you? It might help to be around other parents who are going through the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:09 pm 

Alison's mom, thank for the pep talk. I found your advise very helpful the other night when a parent teased me for not letting our son play with the quarter candy machines at a community center. I find that very few people actually understand how serious food allergies are. I can only do what I believe to be necessary to keep my son as safe as possible and that I stand by my decisions and ignore the eye rolling.
Now that I've had a few days to adjust gelatin has also now become 'just' another ingredient to check for on every product label.
Thanks so much, it is nice to know that our family isn't alone with such issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:30 am 

I'm glad I could help a little. There's a Lower Mainland are support group if you're nearby?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:56 pm 

Hi BC20007 Mom,

I just read your post and wanted to let you know as well like the other moms that your totally not alone. My son just turned 2 and has contact issues to his severe allergies which include dairy, sesame and fish (avoiding peanuts/tree nuts and shellfish). He also has now been officially diagnosed with asthma after a bad asthma attacke sent us to the ER a couple weeks ago.

Wipes are your best friend as I think the other mom's have all agreed to. I wipe (and now Zachary does too) everything when we are out of our home. We know what happens to us if we don't! So don't worry about what anyone else says or does when your taking your procautions to keeping your child safe.

I had a hard time dealing with how some people treated us when we were out, but now I've decided I'm going to educate everyone everywhere I go about his allergies and what it means. So I've become a bit of an advocate for allergy awareness explaining to all those who will listen our story. When I first started to do this though I was so emotional about it that it wasn't very effective, but things get easier as time goes on. Now, I'm just educating away letting people know that with kids like my son (and yours) that even to touch trace amounts of his allergens can cause him to have an allergic reaction, and that even more common foods like dairy, not just peanuts, can be life-threatening. A lot of people seem to just think that our children will get a tummy ache if they ate too much of their allergen (this for us is because a lot of people think of a severe dairy allergy the same as lactose intolerance). Anyways, for me kindly educating those around us, even those on looking strangers rolling their eyes or the people not wanting us in their classes, has helped me believe that maybe next time they hear about someone with an allergy they can have some more compassion, respect and ultimately do their part as society to helping keep our allergenic kids safe for a lifetime to come.

It's nice to find a few other safe places that you can go other than your own house. This was hard for us to find at first, but now our list of safe places is growing as more of our friends and family are beginning to slowly understand with time. Make sure to keep close to those who do support you and help make life easier. I have one friend now that has been so amazing to us, making sure her house is always safe and welcoming for us. She's even found some new great receipes and food ideas for us! :) This support and friendship can mean the world at those hard times!

We've found a restaruant that we can safely eat at as well which has been nice, and actually even just had a safe and successful vacation to Disney world even with severe life-threatening allergies which include to contact! I never thought that would be possible but with a lot of planning and care it is! :)

Anyways, with regards to the asthma side of things, i'm just trying to deal with that myself now too. You can see my posts in the environmental and asthma section wondering about it all. Susan sent a nice reply to my post that you might be interested in reading as well.

We'll all have to just keep cheering on for that cure to all this! It'll come soon enough I'm sure! :)

cheers,

Jodi :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:05 pm 

Zacharys Mom, I have to thank you to you also for your thoughtful reply. Being that we have recently moved from out of province I don't have my network of friends nearby. I am able to cope (usually) with the day to day practical issues but It is difficult not having my friends around for the daily mental and emotional support.
So many people just don't get it, they touch his soother, touch his face, touch his hands... even after I've asked them not to 5x and explained why 5x.

Just knowing that other parents feeling the same emotions makes me feel more sane. Susan's posting in this forum titled 'Parent's Rights' really hit home with me. After reading that post as well as so many other caring posts on these forums I really get that non of us are alone, we all deal with the same emotions and that we all are doing the best we can.

I have already started to instill the 'allergy safety' mentality to our son. Often he wants to share his soother or bottle with my husband or myself, we have had to tell him that it is his and not mama's or dada's. I know he is too young to get what we are saying now but I hope if he hears it from a young age one day he'll understand. Now that your son is 2 how much does he understand?
I hope your little guy is Ok after his asthma ordeal. That must have been scary for him (and you).

Thanks again,
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:38 am 

I just looked up the MMR vaccine because I thought I remembered they use egg in it. Here is what I found and it is very scary to me.
Quote:

MMR and Influenza vaccines are made using chicken egg or related substances. In theory, if one is allergic to eggs, then one may be allergic to egg-based vaccines. This is what we thought years ago and as a result, many egg-allergic children automatically did not receive the MMR vaccine because of this fear. However, allergy tests can be performed on any vaccine. So, to be sure, doctors can perform an allergy test for the MMR vaccine itself. If, based on the allergy test, an egg-allergic child is not allergic to the MMR vaccine, he or she receives the MMR vaccine without any problem. After years of this approach, it was realized that very, very few egg-allergic children were actually allergic to the MMR vaccine. As a result, current expert recommendations are to go ahead an vaccinate egg-allergic children with the MMR vaccine without any specific MMR allergy testing. So in reality, the relationship with egg allergy and the MMR vaccine is just in theory, as almost all egg-allergic children can receive the MMR, egg-based vaccine without a problem. However, this does not apply to other egg-based vaccines like the flu vaccine. In this case, if a child is allergic to eggs, he or she should not receive the vaccine unless specific "flu- vaccine allergy tests" are performed by an allergist. There seem to be some people that despite having an egg allergy are not allergic to the fu vaccine when tested.

to me this seems like Doctors are being fruit cakes about kids with egg allergies. I had a pediatrican who told me not to be stupid because I would not let my vegan by anaphylaxis teen get the flu shot because it had egg in it.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:45 am 

Momofhalfadozen, our family Dr. had held of for two months on giving our son the MMR vaccine as she wanted the ok from our ped. allergist. He gave the ok as the chance of reacting even if egg allergic is so slim. I must say that after that ordeal and the fact that so many other vaccines are either egg cultivated or have gelatin in them I am really terrified of any further vaccines. The 15 month vaccine apparently is made in the same form as the first two infant vaccines with a soy base so they figure he should be ok. I can tell you that even so, I'll have my emergency bag ready this time and be prepared for a trip to the ER straight from the Dr.'s office.
After the 15 month vaccine our Dr. is unsure of any other immunizations that will be safe. She is going to research their components and see what if any we can give our little guy. Our son is being re-tested again in January and hopefully this visit will not show any new allergies. I have prepared myself that no matter what else might shows up we are prepared and it's just one more thing to check on the ingredient label. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Adverse reactions are more likely with vaccines, such as yellow fever and influenza vaccines, that are grown in embryonated eggs. In contrast, measles and mumps vaccine viruses, which are most widely used in Canada, are grown in chick-embryo cell culture. Even after extensive purification, final vaccine products may contain trace quantities of avian proteins resembling proteins present in hens' eggs (1,2) . Anaphylaxis after administering measles-containing vaccines is rare and has been reported in individuals with anaphylactic hypersensitivity to eggs as well as those with no history of egg allergy. In some of these instances, allergy to neomycin (3,4) or gelatin (5) was hypothesized but, in most cases, no allergen was identified (6-8) .

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccd ... 214ea.html
and
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1117843
similar article siting USA and British statistics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:20 am 

Susan,

Quote:
The precautions outlined include skin testing with diluted vaccine and graded-challenge vaccination if the skin test is positive.

Am I allowed to request that a skin prick of the vaccine be done before any innoculation? I wish I had know this before as I would have insisted on one before his MMR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:30 am 

I think I would suggest it to the doc and not allow the shot until they do it

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

I don't see why you couldn't make that request. I think it's quite sensible.