You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:30 pm 

At my DD's annual appointment with her alergist this year I asked about how to go about handling the most common allergens around my 2 month old son (can I eat these things while breastfeeding? Should I hold off even longer than reccomended on introducing these foods, etc.) His answer was that studies are being done on early rather than late introduction being the answer for preventing potential allergies, but that nothing has been solidly prooven yet. When I asked what to do he pretty much said it was up to me whether I introduced allergens early (around 4 months) or later. My question is, does anyone have any experience with early introduction? Any further information? I would like him to have a fair shake at not having allergies but I'm really confused about what to do!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:26 pm 

There is still so much unknown about this. It's frustrating. Here's what I did.

Because my husband is allergic to so many things I decided to avoid eating any nuts or peanuts while I was pregnant and breastfeeding my son.

I waited before introducing them. Babies digestive systems aren't developed enough for solids so early on. I felt it was better to wait until he was at least 6 months old, and then introduced the foods gradually so I could keep an eye on any allergic reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:54 am 
Site Admin

Dr's are loath to recommend restricting the diet unnecessarily. Because the newest research is conflicting with what has traditionally been the recommended, Dr's are at a stalemate. Do they go with limitted new information? Do they go with the old way and limit unnecessarily?

One thing that they seem to be in agreement about is that breast feeding is beneficial. So you are already giving your son a good start.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst by being alert for possible reactions and keep a diary if you find any.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb