You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Taking care of yourself
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:22 pm 

I really need to focus on myself more..I will admit it. It is really hard with the allergies, the stress, and the baking to find time for myself. When I do have "me time" I find that allergies is all I think about. I only let my mom babysit...sometimes, but i am a definite control freak about what the girls eat. My mom works strange shift work so her off days do not always fall on a day that I would like to go somewhere. My husband travels with work and is away overnight a lot. His schedule changes a lot, so it is hard for me to plan anything in advance. A date with my husband would be nice too...but hard to co-ordinate between husbands and mothers schedules.

I need a hair do so bad!!! My hair is really long, and naturally curly. If I cut it it would be a fluffy afro if I did not flat iron it everyday (like I have time t\for that) . It drives me up the wall. I always have a pony tail becuse it drives me crazy when it is in my face, or getting in the way.

When I do get time to myself, it never seems like enough. I went to shop in another city with my best friend last Saturday, but that took major planning and just does not happen very often ( like twice a year). It seems like a huge effort has to be made just to get out of the house for a little while. Sometimes it does not seem worth the effort to plan an outing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:50 pm 

I can see why you wouldn't have much time for yourself! One thing that I've found really helpful with stress is Pilates. I just take out my Pilates mat and plug in the video when I need a break. I find doing 20 minutes or so of Pilates is as good as taking a nap. Plus I'm more flexible than I used to be!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:12 am 

Yoga is my thing but I am lucky that my kids are now all in school full time. How old are your kids? In a couple of years, things should get easier. I know that seems a long time to wait, but it will go by quickly. I agree with Lisa about the video if you can't get a sitter very often. Maybe if you put in a movie for your kids in one room and do a yoga video in another room for you. (That's if you have two VCRs!) Yoga for me is very good physically, but also greatly reduces stress. Good luck, I hope things get easier for you!

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 am 

My daughters are 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. The oldest is in preschool 3 mornings a week. The rest of the time they are both home with me, or we are all out at their activities (ballet and gymnastics).

I actually have a gym in my basement. I used to work in a gym, so I assumed that working out would always be a part of my life. I have an eliptical trainer, stationary weights and free weights. I used to use it a lot before my youngest started moving. I would put her on the floor, and could workout, while my oldest would play computer. Once she started moving, she would get into everything and it became impossible to focus on my workout. Prior to the children I used to go to the gym to work out or do aerobics a lot. I miss the social outing of it all.

I used to have a really hard time controlling my weight, and that was the motivation behind the working out, but now that practically all unhealthy food has been banned from the house, and I live on soy,fuit, veggies and homemade whole grain products, my weight is were it should be and I don't have trouble maintaining. I am missing that motivation (of hating my body and always trying to loose weight) that I used to have. I'm sure that if I could have all the icecream and treats I wanted in the house I would still be battling my weight, and loosing the battle.

My two year old plays computer now, so at least I know that if I start working out again she will be entertained. The kids love to play really educational games, so i know that if I leave them on the computer, they are learning while I take time to myself.

Maybe I'll work out tomorrow while my oldest is at school, and the youngest can play computer, we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I will have more me time when they are in school, but when the milk allergic child is at school I am planning on volunteering at the school, so that I am there if needed. Maybe eventually I will be able to "let go".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

I'm wondering if you have been able to find some gym time yet.
I feel pretty much the same way except I don't have my mom live in town. Even though I have some great friends who are very allergy aware, I haven't left our daughter with any of them.
My "me time" is spent here and often I stay too late and pay for it the next day, or the 35 minute bus commute where I get to read.
My husband has to go to bed before our daughetr so the only time we have to talk is if we can manage to get together over lunch or if we take a drive in the country Sunday afternoon and our daughter falls asleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:59 pm 

Honestly, No. I did how ever clean up the basement where my gym is, because the kids toy area has managed to overtake my gym. Then the toys were everywhere again, but I cleaned it today so...maybe Friday, we have gymnastics tomorrow morning. I used to work out 3 or 4 days a week, so I'm not sure exactly what my problem is.

However, I have discovered poker. Almost every weekend for the last few weeks my husband and I have played poker either with friends at our house ( i supply food and make everyone wash ), or at a friends house if my mom can watch the kids. Some of the people we play with outside our home don't even know my kids. I have really enjoyed being me (michelle) for a change and not just my kids mother. It has really helped me to remember that I actually exist as a person too. Its really wierd but the people there actually call me Michelle and not mommy. The cool part is that we pay $5 a game and winner and second place take home money, and I am ahead, and so is my husband.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:01 am 

I SOOOO hear you!!! I'm coming up to the 1 year anniversary of my last hair cut. I'm actually pleased if I wash it more than once a week....OK shower in general more than once a week. I think my goal is to have a haircut before my son's 1st birthday.

I just started spinning poi after children are tucked in bed- if you have a bit of space and a ceiling that isn't too low or outside space, it can be quite fun. Check out www.playpoi.com for some cool video.

My husband and I just started playing scrabble the occasional evening when he isn't working. No points, just use up tiles and use some brain cells.

let me know if you think of any way to help motivate me to actually aquire abs again!