You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Another ER disaster
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:05 pm 

This time, another unknown reaction to a food she's been eating for months (and is eating now in a different form and still doesn't react to, i'm assuming contaminated batch of cereal or a dirty bowl, but who knows).

I was having a horrible day, The baby wasn't feeling well all day, runny nose, cranky and restless. She didn't want to sleep at night, her bedtime is at 7:30, she woke up at 10 and wouldn't go back to bed. I cuddled her and held her and eventually curled up with her on the lazyboy for a while. At about 2 am, she starts getting fussy again, so I grab a box of her baby cereal, assuming she must be hungry, so I`d give her some and it may calm her down so she could go back to sleep. A few minutes later, her lips are getting red, she`s rubbing her eyes and crying hard. I know what's coming, so I call 9-1-1. 10 minutes later she vomits a few times, then cries so hard she's gasping for air (not sure if she's crying because she can't breathe or she's having trouble breathing becuse she's crying. More vomiting right after the injection, but about 5 minutes later, the redness is going away and she is calming down and breathing well. FInally the ambulance shows up over 20 minutes later, when there are almost no signs of a reaction, they transport us to the nearest hospital (that same hospital as last time). We get there, and she's smiling again, looking much better and getting some colour back, so they decide it's not urgent despite the fact I just gave her an epi-pen. They send me to an exam room and tell me a doctor will be in soon. No doctor comes, and i ask the nurses several times how long it will be. The response I get was something like "There is only one doctor on duty, so he'll come when he has time, if her reaction comes back, let us know..." 5 hours later I'm so fed up I walk out of the hospital unseen by any doctor to go to our pediatrician that opens at 9. We were 8th to arrive, and seen within 40 minutes, the pediatrician says she should have been evaluated by a doctor right away, not made to wait, she prescribes the prednisone and benadryl for us along with 2 epi-pens refillable this time, so that should help.

I am wondering how i'm supposed to get used to this. I'm pregnant and I swear the stress can't be good for me or the new baby. I tried to ask the ambulance to bring us to a different hospital but they have a protocol that they have to go to the nearest for an allergic reaction. I'm writing a letter for sure to the hospital, but is there anything else I can do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm 

Your hospital experience is horrible :shock: . I don't think one ever gets used to reactions. I remember being soooo upset when my daughter at age 1 1/2 broke out in hives and swelling from trying chicken. Once we got the allergies straight and learned all about the vague world of "may contain" we stopped having reactions all the time and things got better.

BTW, what baby cereal are you using? My little guy still eats baby cereal and I haven't seen ANY, other than crushed Farleys bisquits that don't contain traces of milk. We've been using "may contain milk" ones reluctantly.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:21 pm 

We use a baby cereal called "Healthy Times". There is one, bio food store near here that sells it, it comes in rice cereal, oatmeal cereal, barley cereal, multigrain cereal. There is only one store near here that carries it, and it's not cheap, but it's great to have an option for her. It comes from california I believe.

Here is the link to their site:
http://www.healthytimes.com/htbabycereal.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

You need to find out what the hospital's policy is regarding anaphylaxis reactions so that if the policy was not followed, the hospital can do some educating etc.

You need to talk to the allergist to find out what they want to happen and see if you can get it in writing, maybe this can carry some weight with the ER staff
You can also speak tothe allergist about a possible new allergen to one of the cereal ingredients.

You can talk to CFIA to see if they would test the baby cereal to ensure there is no trace of your child's allergens.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb