You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:57 pm 

I know there is a similar thread in the Schools section, but this doesn't have anything to do with school.

We finally made the trek out to the mall to see Santa Claus this morning. After sitting nicely for a photo (which surprised me because she's super high-energy), Santa asked her if she'd like a nice chocolate. Without looking at me for guidance or even skipping a beat, she said "No thank you, I don't want chocolate." Now my daughter (who is 3) LOVES chocolate, but without hesitating she turned it down. Santa called me over and whispered in my ear, "I asked her if she wants a free chocolate and she said no," but she overheard him, rolled her eyes and very matter-of-factly said, "Chocolate might have nuts and I'm allergic to nuts!" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:35 am 
Site Admin

That's so great!
It's nice to know they're 'getting it'. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:28 am 

That's so cute! (and allergy aware)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:43 pm 

You have done your job. Congrations to You. Your little one is only 3 and she knows to refuse, she will do well in life. Thanks to proper teaching of her Mommy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:33 pm 

Hello,
We recently found out that our 21 month old is allergic to peanuts and cashews and I am so happy to hear the story about your 3 year old who said no to Santa. I am looking for some tips on starting to teach my child about his allergy. How did you do it?...books?...videos? Any tips would help. This allergy is making me very nervous and I don't want to scare him, I just want him to understand and be aware. I know that he is young yet, but it's never too early to start. Thanks in advance for any suggestions provided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:50 pm 

Hi there, my daughter is also allergic to cashews. For us, it was a twist of fate that she had her last couple reactions at an age where she remembered them. She told everyone within earshot (and I do mean EVERYONE) that she "puked and puked all over mommy's car" and that she had to go to the hospital and get a needle. This went on for months.

Other than that, we talk about her allergy in regular conversation. I don't try to scare her, but I remind her and keep it fresh. It started with her asking for ice cream at the mall and I told her that she couldn't eat that ice cream because it might have nuts in it, and nuts make you sick, remember? When we're at the grocery store I do a play-by-play of what we're doing ("I'm reading the ingredients to make sure there are no nuts in it"/"See those things on the box? Those are nuts"/"We can't have those treats in the bins because there are nuts right beside them"/"Do you know what that is in those bags over there? Those are cashews, and those are walnuts"). I also talk about my own allergies ("I'm allergic to cats and you're allergic to nuts" "But cats don't make you sick mommy because we don't eat cats").

Another big help is her Medic Alert bracelet. When we first got it, I told it keeps her safe and what it says on it ("Allergic to nuts/Needs Epipen"). Every once in a while I ask her what her bracelet says and she feels like a big girl because she knows what it says. It's almost like a party trick - people comment on her bracelet all the time ("Look at your bling!") and then I ask her to tell them what it says on it.

We repeat certain phrases or ideas like mantras: "No chocolate unless Mommy gives it to me", "No Epipen, no food", "No thank you, I'm allergic to nuts and my Mommy isn't here right now", "I'm not allowed to share food because I'm allergic to nuts", etc., etc.

Also, every once in a while, I give her specialty nut-free treats she doesn't feel left out and I make a big production about the fact that they are nut-free. Every once in a while, we take a trip down to The Cupcake Shoppe (totally nut-free cupcake bakery) in Toronto and she can pick out any cupcake she wants.

Hope that helps some!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:55 pm 

Myfreakleface,

YOUR DAUGHTER IS AMAZING!!! I am so thrilled to hear that she said "No" to Santa. That really has made my day.