You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:57 pm 

Our allergist suggested we get some form of Medic-Alert for Violet as soon as possible...but she has the tiniest little wrists and I can't find a bracelet small enough for her little wrist anywhere.....

What do you all do who have toddlers with serious allergies?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:43 am 

Medicalert's bracelets can be adjusted to sizes smaller than those listed. The smallest option on there says 4.5 inches for the standard stainless steel bracelet, but you can call them and have them do any size, basically. Only thing is the emblem itself would be pretty big on her wrist - there is a bit of a curve to it, but it wouldn't curve around a really tiny wrist that well. There's also this option: http://peanutfree.com/Medic%20Jewellery.html which is a stainless steel plaque on a fabric band that is infinitely adjustable. You could cut and singe/serge the fabric band to shorten it. They say to print info on the back of the strap, but I printed the info for my kids on the front, as I thought it was too much trouble to remove the bracelet in order to see the back. So far, it hasn't been a problem with the engraving being scratched off and we've had them for over a year, I think.

This US company has the same ones, plus a lot more: http://www.stickyj.com/medical-emergency.html I have used them as well, and was very pleased.

There's another thread on this same topic, but I can't seem to find it with the search tool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:37 am 

Our son started wearing his bracelet at 12 months, he was so tiny I can't believe it actually fit. Whatever the smallest size was they had at medic alert we ordered and it never came off. I agree, the emblem seems huge at first but after a few months we didn't even notice it. It is what we refer to as his 'bling'. :lol: I just had to order him a new bracelet as his allergies have changed so much I had no choice but to update it. For the few minutes it was off our DS hovered over my husband all anxious and wanting it back on. At 12 months it took about a week before he quite playing with it, now he feels uncomfortable without it on.
He is still wearing the same original chain though, we just ordered the new one with a longer one for later on and put the old chain on the new emblem. Elmo is now wearing the old medic alert emblem around his neck like a necklace. Elmo's 'bling'.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:58 am 
Site Admin

MedicAlert is great for walking you through your concerns. If you still have doubts, call them. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:46 pm 

I got the sports band int he smallest size for my daughter (now 16.5 months).. she hates wearing it and I dont' force her to, because she is always with either my husband or me, and we know where it is, if she is with anyone else, we tell them where it is. It is important after all, because it has all the information on it, and it's much easier to explain to whoever is watching her how to use the epi-pen, when to call 911 and when they get there give them the bracelet right away, as opposed to expecting them to remember the plethora of allergies she has. Even though she doesn't wear it, it's velcroed to the diaper bag, which is always where she is, along with both her epi pens are in the same bag (with the benadryl and orajel and hand sanitizer and everything else we might need in an emergency). The only reason I havent really forced her to wear the breacelt is because she has horrible eczema on her wrist and it seems to make her itchy for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:50 am 

I really like MedicAlert. I think their customer service is great. My daughter was doing well with the sports bracelets, the ones with velcro until she figured out how to remove them by herself. Then we moved on to the ones with the plastic clasps for tiny wrists (she is tiny) and a few months later she still figured out how to unbuckle the plastic clasps!! So when I called MedicAlert they said that the metal ones cannot be opened easily, but we would have to adjust it to fit her tiny wrist even though the web site says not suitable for children under 3. My little girl had figured out how to open the plastic ones when she was 1.5 years. We still went for the metal ones. She has yet to figure out how to open it so that's the one we're sticking with for now.

Noha

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Keep the screwdrivers away from her!!! :frightened
Your child is simply too smart. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:40 pm 

I purchased one from N-Style ID : http://www.n-styleid.com/ultra_light_ch ... ets_g.html

It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the real Medic Alert program but the bracelet is good, the strap is adjustable, and the price was right for us! My 3 year old calls it her "safety bracelet".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:49 pm 

For a very brief period of time I put a large button on my daughter that said "Don't feed me I'm Special" This was helpful for after church when some people would try to offer candy to little kids. I was always with her when she was out in public. I started the Medic Alert bracelet when she was 4. We went to a parent participation preschool so I was able to be there a lot of the time. All the mom's went through training and a presentation.
I have also seen t-shirts used to identify allergic toddlers.