You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sigh of relief?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:33 pm 

Yesterday at breakfast time my daughter (17 months) was finished before I was and getting cranky, so I let her down to go play with her toys. I was eating peanut butter on toast, she was having her sunbutter on toast. Well, I must have left my peanut butter knife too close to the edge of the table, I only turned to check on the baby for a second when she was crying (the little one) when I sense a disturbance in the force. She had grabbed the knife from the table and had the dirty side in her hands (okay, not very dirty, but there was visible peanut butter on it, so I panicked). I instantly grabbed it and washed her hands soooo carefully (she didn`t like that at all) but the strange thing is there was no itchiness, no redness, no hives that appeared because of it, I had the epi-pen and benadryl standing by in case, but nothing.. I figured even if I had gotten it all off quickly, there would still be some sort of reaction..

Now, she's never had a reaction to peanuts before, she was diagnosed by RAST test at 9 months after her reaction to egg, and we've been avoiding peanuts ever since. There is one occasion when she reacted to a kiss after I had eaten peanut butter on toast, and I had thought it was to the peanut, but when I think back, we were still using butter at the time, not fleishmans margarine, so it could have been butter residue she reacted to..

I will bring it up with the allergist in June when I go, but should I request that they add a scratch test for peanut? The allergist origianlly said that she wouldn't bother testing her until 5 years, but should I press the point and ask for a scratch test sooner to get a better idea? I'm not really going to start feeding her peanut butter and everything if it's negative, but it would be nice to know if I really had to be avoiding everything that "may contain traces". If I request that for the peanuts, I may as well do it for the tree nuts as well, because those are just suspected, they didn't even do the RAST test for them, just told us that if she's allergic to all those other things, nuts should be avoided as well..

Post subject: Re: Sigh of relief?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:18 pm 

I know many people with allergies to peanuts happen to be allergic also to tree nuts but I would think a great many people are allergic to only one or another. I would ask for skin pricks (our son had skin pricks and blood work done since he was 9 months old..his first very severe reaction also to a peanut butter kiss was at 6 months). I would hate for a child to have to avoid so many foods until the age of five, that seems very extreme.
I would still like you mentioned be very cautious regarding peanut butter. Some people may be able to tolerate it on their skin without a reaction but if it got near an eye/mouth etc. then they might react. The good news is she didn't react, hopefully her body's immune system has changed as she's gotten older. I would absolutely have skin pricks if not also rast test re-done.
Good luck and fingers crossed :swing

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 am 
Site Admin

I agree! Skin prick test...here's hoping it's negative! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:55 pm 

Well, our allergist appointment was last week, right after a week of her being sick, so she was really cranky for it. She's still allergic to beef, dairy, eggs and she was VERY positive for peanuts.. but negtive for nuts..

We gace her almond milk, becasue she has recently started rejecting her formula but she doesn't like it much, so I hope that soon she'll be able to get protein from nuts as well.. there's at least one food off our list!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:16 pm 

Cauger that is wonderful. Hopefully that opens up a few more options for her diet. You would be fine now with any nut butter (use it to make cookies etc.) I've never looked at any but I'm sure there must be some which are peanut safe. What did the allergist say regarding the fish/shellfish?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:40 am 

The allergist gave us the go ahead now to try out the fish/shellfish - the problem about that is that nobody in the house eats them, so I'm going to see maybe if I buy some shrimp chips of something, use those to test for a reaction, though the likelihood of her contacting any fish here is very low, when we eat out it might be soimething nice t know fi she is actually allergic or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:55 am 

So many foods have fish in them, basically anything omega 3. That would be one way to introduce it slowly....yogurt, orange juice (the kind that comes in the box in the cooler section/omega 3), danone yogurt drinks contain fish etc.. If she is fine with these then you could try buying one piece of fish or fish sticks etc..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 am 

cauger... please be careful with other tree nuts, as cross contamination is high. DD is allergic to peanuts, but not tree nuts, however we have been advised by our allergist to stay away from all nuts. One day DH was eating pistachios while DD was sleeping. He forgot to wash his hands after, and when he picked her up later, she started to break out... luckily Benydryl did the trick. Just make sure all nut products declare peanut free. :) There are some nut butters that are peanut free, just be careful..

jacqui

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:33 pm 

thanks gertiegirl, I was going to make sure I called the companies before giving her new nuts, just in case. As far as I'm aware, our almond milk is safe (too bad she's not a fan of it). This will open up her diet a bit though, and i'll be looking for something fishy at the store next time i'm there.

Sadly most of the things with added omega 3's are already dairy products, so that's out. I'll keep my eyes peeled..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:31 pm 

Cauger you must think I have a short circut somewhere to suggest yogurt etc. I forgot about the dairy!!! :lol: . There is still the orange juice. Good luck and fingers crossed she will be fine with fish/seafood, two less food groups to worry about.