You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: kids tv shows/songs
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:30 am 

I was wondering how other parents deal with this. Because my daughter is starting to understand more and more, I was wondering what and how other people deal with this. I'm guilty of subscribing to playhouse disney, because at times I really need to keep the toddler busy while dealing with the new baby who is colicky at times, so I turn on the TV and she watches it with much interesting, and i'd been wondering about this a lot. There are shows that seem to put out a message about certain foods that i don't want my daughter to see. For instance, on "special agent Oso" they show the kids how to mae a bird feeder with a pine cone, peanut butter and bird seed. I'm sure if eventually she wants to make one, we can find something else that is sticky to use instead of peanut butter, but still...

Also, on "Mickey mouse clubhouse" they had to lure the baby elephant out of the tree, so they used peanuts, but mickey took one, goofy took one, daffy took one, then mickey says "put out your hand and take the peanut" and looks like he's passing one to the kid. These messages seem incredibly contradictory to what i'm going to want to teach my daughter about food. Songs too sometimes, like raffi's sharing song and peanut butter sandwiches by fred penner i think, do I just avoid the songs, or play them anyways. So many issues i'd never thought of, but I'm starting to wonder how to get my daughter to understand that food isn't always safe for her. Ideas?

Post subject: Re: kids tv shows/songs
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:27 am 
Site Admin

If you get a chance to see Kyle Dine in action, do so! Otherwise, you can purchase a CD or listen on line. http://www.kyledine.com/CD.htm

He sings about allergies and how it is to be different while using humour to get the message across to kids that it's OK to be different, you can stay safe and still have fun.

Getting together with others will help to point out that everyone has some challenge, ours happens to be food allergies. I'm all for explaining that foods we enjoy (soy milk for example) can be just as dangerous to others. It was hard for dd to understand at that age how her favourite food could make others sick. I would point out that it's just as hard sometimes for others to understand how her allergies could make her feel sick.

Role playing teaparty, restaurant, grocery store etc., is a great way to make your point and give the words and phrases you want your child to remember.

During pretend play, Dd was notorious for putting tuna fish in my cookies when she invited me to a tea party! She took glee in being the sneaky bad person! Luckily i always asked and on those occasions where she flat out lied :frightened , I had my handy Epipen (trainer).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:07 pm 

I think just keep educating her on what she can't have AND why she can't have it.
I know a while back that there was talk on this forum on what age to tell your
child that their allergies can kill them. Both my fiance's mom and my mom told
him and I as soon as we were old enough to understand. He thinks it was about two
and my told me around 4 when I found out. I understood that my allergies at that time
could kill me and it was stupid to risk my life to try a treat just because I saw it on tv.
My fiance is not on this forum to speak for himself but I know he feels the same way
that imposing censorship on your child WILL in the long run make your child
not only resentful of you but also make them not take their allergies more seriously
In the future.

I have wanted to say this for a while on this forum. You cannot be with your child
24 hours a day and as they get older you will be less and less control of their lives.
This may sound harsh (and sorry if it does, I just want to be honest) but your child's allergies
are THEIR responsiblity, not yours. Both my fiance and I learned from an early age,
that yes, they would be there to support and be there at every school function when we were younger (jk to 5)
but they would not be there to police other people. It was our job to educate those around us
and learn to say no. I personally think that elementry school is tough, doesn't matter
if you have allergies or not. Your child needs to learn independence from a young age
if they have allergies, it is just the nature of the beast. I understand that you want to
protect them but sadly you won't alway be there for them.

I am speaking as a former child/teenager that has allergies. Sorry if it came off harsh. I just
think you are some good people who sometimes just bite off more than you can chew.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:10 am 
Site Admin

GirlfromNWO wrote:
I have wanted to say this for a while on this forum. You cannot be with your child
24 hours a day and as they get older you will be less and less control of their lives.
This may sound harsh (and sorry if it does, I just want to be honest) but your child's allergies
are THEIR responsiblity, not yours. Both my fiance and I learned from an early age,
that yes, they would be there to support and be there at every school function when we were younger (jk to 5)
but they would not be there to police other people. It was our job to educate those around us
and learn to say no. I personally think that elementry school is tough, doesn't matter
if you have allergies or not. Your child needs to learn independence from a young age
if they have allergies, it is just the nature of the beast. I understand that you want to
protect them but sadly you won't alway be there for them.

I am speaking as a former child/teenager that has allergies. Sorry if it came off harsh. I just
think you are some good people who sometimes just bite off more than you can chew.

I think...I know you're right. Kids who have life threatening allergies need to know in no uncertain terms that it is a serious condition that can be deadly. We can't put them in a bubble for the first 3-5 years, then send them to go to school and hope for the best.

I'm actually gratefull that dd has had a reaction in the past few years so that she can remember just how scary reactions can be. If they haven't had a reaction since they were 18 months old, will they really get it?

The thing is, we are hard wired to protect our children, especially in the toddler years. It seems to go against nature to tell your child that they can die (will they even grasp the concept?). I told dd when she straight out asked after reading the book, I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly. She was 3.

I think it's important to teach safety around allergies just as we teach safety around hot stoves, water, cars etc. Give them the tools and the practice to keep themselves safe, before they need to take on the responsibility will teach resilience and help us to stay calm.

It just isn't fair that they need to grow up so fast! I know, suck it up, life isn't fair...you can't help someone when you feel sorry for them... :freak

I am definately guilty of biting off more than I can chew...but I happen to have a big mouth!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:14 am 

cauger, I know exacty how you feel!! I cringe SO OFTEN during shows where sharing or peanut/butter comes up. DS is 6 and understands his allergy. I use to make a point of telling him 'just because the kids on Timothy goes to School are sharing lunches, you can't share food with people' etc..Now if peanuts come up in a song or show he looks at me and says 'I know mom, they aren't safe for me'. He gets it, I cringe when it comes on now but I don't always comment anymore.

PS. Just yesterday ther was a Ritz ad with a little girl walking around wiht a box and handing them out around the school. Total cringefest. :/

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:41 am 

GirlfromNWO....as much as there is complete logic and rational behind what you say it is very difficult when it comes to ones own child's life to release them from the 'parental bubble' so to say. Regardless if we are talking a child with health issues or not, letting go when they are 2 or 22 is hard . We know we need to let go and as parents there is a little voice saying ....you have to let go....but the heart overpowers and says.....do whatever you need to do to protect them and keep them safe.
Something like letting my son play last week at the Children's museum was a HUGE HUGE HUGE step, just to let him out of the stroller and allow him to touch everything was as big a step as for some parents maybe having their child go for their first weekend away with grandparents. We take baby steps knowing we have to let go, but baby steps sometimes are all we are able to take at once.

I know many of us allergic parents bite of more than we can chew at times thereby driving ourselves mad... BUT....I see how much advocating and educating was done by allergic parents before me and I know that the road for my son has been made easier because of them. So every little step we continue to take towards making future allergy childrens lives just a little easier is worth every minute, each phone call and all the letters and time needed to do so.
Gluton for punishment, yep, many of us are, but the rewards can be so great for our child that is it worth it...heck yah!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

There is a study going on in Baltimore on the impact of food allergies on parenting and autonomy in young children...I shudder to think of where I am on the continuum!
http://www.researchgrantdatabase.com/g/ ... -CHILDREN/