You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

I am constantly looking for ways to adapt the usual situation to allow our daughter to participate in activities and social functions in a safe way. I really don't want her to miss out in life or to feel different. I realise there are times when we have to say "No" but often we can make small changes that allow everyone to keep the event without putting our child at risk.
At our daughters daycare (homebased), the provider occasionally invoves the children in making brownies etc from a mix. This has understandably always been a hit with the kids. Unfortunately, our daughter has had to eat her cupcake (hope I had the foresight to send one) while they had fun measuring, pouring, mixing and of course, eating.
We made up 2 mixes of our own using the FANN cookbook tonight. We are supplying the provider with disposable cake pans and 'safe' vanilla extract. We have included instructions as to how much oil and water to add and the temperature to bake at and length of time.
Our daughter can't wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:38 pm 

Susan, That's a great idea with the cake mixes!! We also work very hard at adapting situations to include our 4 yr old son (and to not exclude our 6 year old daughter with no allergies), and so far, it has been very successful for our family. It takes extra work (sometimes LOTS of extra work) but it is so worth it. I believe this teaches our children resilience, and adaptability. It gives them the strength to realise that their allergies don't have to hold them back from enjoying life. With some adjustments, their lives can be very full, despite their condition. This kind of thinking doesn't happen overnight, but I believe it is vital to their well-being.