You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:20 pm 

Not sure how this happened but my 2.5 year old no longer has peanut, egg or milk allergy as of today. Dr. Ham Pong (Ottawa Allergist) gave us the good news today in office. I am so happy its crazy. How my son could go from having 3 serious allergies and having to carry around an Epipen to none makes me feel like spreading hope for everyone.

What a special day for my son and our family! Hope you all hear the same news one day. Now we have to slowly introduce the 3 in small amounts and slowly over time.

I can smell Freedom!

Yipeeeeeeeeeee! :bouncyblue

Sarah

Last edited by sly on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 pm 

:happydance :happydance :happydance :happydance YAAAAA so exciting!!!!!

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:45 pm 

:bouncyblue :bouncyblue Great news! Did Dr. Pong determine this using food challenges? Just curious. Great news for your family!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:14 pm 

Julie wrote:
:bouncyblue :bouncyblue Great news! Did Dr. Pong determine this using food challenges? Just curious. Great news for your family!

He just did the regular needle prick tests in the office.He then told me that I need to introduce the foods to him slowly and in very small amounts for example tip of my finger size as well as egg yoks first etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 pm 

:happydance :happydance WOW that is so exciting! You won't even know what do do next time you are shopping, you'll never have to turn a box around again.
Wishing you the best with introducing the foods. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 am 

That is fantastic! Thank you for sharing the good news, hope is something we all need.

:huggy
As great as this forum is, I have to say that I have fantasized about not needing to come here anymore.. and with the explosion of treatments in research, I'm sure that day is coming for all of us eventually!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:11 am 

That is such wonderful news. My son out grew egg allergy (epipen prescribed) when he was 3 yrs old and we too were able to intoduce egg in a home challenge situation (which he passed and that was amazing!). He is now undergoing a barley challenge (in patient hospital challenge) and he is nearly on the end of that (but did have anaphylaxis on day 5 of another challenge so we are not out of the woods yet!).

Fingers crossed for you! go slowly with the challenges and remember to keep them in the diet on very regular basis after that to prevent resenistation.

Great news and good luck :mrgreen:

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:29 am 
Site Admin

That's wonderful! :happydance
Your world is about to blow open-the food, the events....no more anxiety or pre-pre-planning! I'm so happy for your family. :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Momtobunches wrote:
As great as this forum is, I have to say that I have fantasized about not needing to come here anymore.. and with the explosion of treatments in research, I'm sure that day is coming for all of us eventually!

Ah, the bittersweetness of that statement. :huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:50 am 

:happydance That's wonderful news! I'm so happy for you! Can you imagine grocery shopping now and all the foods you can buy without a second thought? Wow! You've given me hope that DD will eventually out grow her allergies too - she has the exact same ones as your DS.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:45 am 

That news is definitely worthy of :happydance :happydance :happydance !!!

Congratulations and enjoy the freedom :happydance !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:52 pm 

Congratulations for your son. It must be such a big relief.....Looking back to what you've done, is there an advice/tip that you want to share with us? I know kids, parents, allergies are different, but any advice is very important.
Please write me an e-mail, if you don't want to go into details on the forum: claire_vl@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Denisa

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:58 pm 

Great news. In the States allergists do in office food challenges because skin and blood testing are only 90% accurate for negative results and a negative result does not mean the person isn't allergic anymore. If the person has had past reactions then allergists here would always recommend an in office or in hospital challenge. My son tested neg to one of his allergens but failed his food challenge in the hospital and needed the epi pen.

Did your child have past reactions to all those foods? if so I'd be very cautious about in home challenges. Hope it all goes very well.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:18 pm 

Congrats! And good luck with everything! Just wondering what his rast/skin results were before? Were the allergies quite mild or severe? Feel free to message me if you prefer.