You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:57 am 

I have been looking at the different local classes available to DS for this fall (he'll be 3 the end of September). There are great classes and many involve crafts or one part is active and the other is crafts. I contacted the admin. office to see exactly what type of crafts are done and if they involve food. Yes they do, they aren't sure what kind of food :x and the lady agreed with me it might be best to stick to a sports only type class. The crafts/science classes all do use food items as they are "great, inexpensive craft materials".... :roll:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:37 am 

They are also non toxic....if you don't have allergies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:03 am 
Site Admin

What's wrong with cut and paste?
Beware of playdough-who knows what dirty hands were playing with it last.
Classes offered by the city parks and recreation dept may be covered by their anaphylaxis policy.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:06 pm 

We live at the edge of three cities, so we enroll the kids depending on schedule, availability, etc. One of the municipalities' park/rec policy is that if a child has a life threatening allergy, the parent must stay onsite at all times for any classes less than 3 hours, and for over three hours (like a summer camp), you would have to make arrangements with the supervisor.

So far, I have not left them at skating, swimming, ballet, or other sports classes at the rec centres, but the gymnastics and bike camps we have done are private organizations and have staff trained on anaphylaxis and epipen, so I have felt comfortable leaving them there.

I would hesitate to put them in any type of cooking class, and I figure they can do crafts at home, so no need to sign them up for a class just for that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:20 pm 

Have you got "Sporty Kids" out in your end? I put DD in it in the spring and she LOVED it. "Tumble Gym" is also great. I have this philosophy that encouraging sports will help her to see herself as strong and healthy and not a sickly kid with asthma and allergies. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:24 am 

Thanks, I have been looking at the different sports type classes and I think that is the route I'll also go. Being indoors so much in winter he will need somewhere to run and release energy...kiddie soccer or some such activity will be good.
I also found a Karate school which has a 3-5 year old little tykes type class. He is young and will just be 3 next month but I think even if he gets something out of it and starts to learn to listen and follow instructions it would do him good. The school said I can bring him for free to their first class in Sept.. Karate is also something I'd like for our DS to stick with. The structure and discipline as well as being a physical activity would be perfect for him as he's VERY active. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:34 am 
Site Admin

He'll soon be old enough for Cosmic Adventures and other such "gerbil run for kids" indoor playgrounds. :bouncyblue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:42 am 

"gerbil run for kids" :rofl :rofl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Have you seen this type of playground? It's just like the gerbil toy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:02 pm 

That is exactly what these types of playgrounds look like. You cracked me right up Susan. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 am 

SOOO frustrated. Signed DS up for one sports activity and have been looking into other additional options. I called the City's early years center in our area. They do have a bring your own snack time every playgroup. They suggest peanut/tree nut free but talking to other friends who already go nothing is enforced. I asked if hand washing after eating was a possible option and was told it would be great but not possible. What gets me is all the craft/food stuff. Just as with the parks and rec programs I was told they use a large variety of food/craft idea. One was a jello pond or some such thing (anaphylactic to gelatin). Right then I knew this wouldn't work. I wanted it to work, I was excited to try taking DS somewhere new and said I might try come in. But in my head for the last two days I kept thinking of ways to take him and have this work but It just isn't going to. The jello alone being in liquid form and I'm assuming used with toys etc. would be sticky and residue everywhere. He's had reactions in the past requiring epinephrine to gelatin reactions and so this is a very real allergy. Not to mention all the food being eaten on site as his allergies go above and beyond peanut/tree nuts.

GRRRRRRRRRRR I hate food. :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

http://biblioottawalibrary.ca/en/main/p ... rchform#21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:35 am 

Susan, I was thinking this would be a good place to put that link to that free poster, but can't find it. Could you please, again.

BC2007, don't forget swimming. Everyone should know how anyway and it's a good asthma exercise too! We spent alot of time at the local pool. Thank goodness we had one! Indoor too - cause it's darn cold here most of the time and we don't like to play hockey.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 am 

Quote:
BC2007, don't forget swimming.
Swimming is out, our son had surgery to put in ear tubes this past February. It will be until he is 5 or 6 our ENT wants him to submerge his head!!! :?

I forgot about the library program, thanks Susan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:39 am 

Susan, I was thinking this would be a good place to put that link to that free poster, but can't find it. Could you please, again. Thank you!

BC2007, don't forget swimming. Everyone should know how anyway and it's a good asthma exercise too! We spent alot of time at the local pool. Thank goodness we had one! Indoor too - cause it's darn cold here most of the time and we don't like to play hockey.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy