You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:42 pm 

The kiddies and I just returned home from a visit with my parents. We had a great time playing in their huge backyard that is shaded by lots of fruit trees and one chestnut tree.

The chestnuts pretty much only come down in the fall save for a few that the squirrels knock off. Also, their next door neighbor has a walnut tree that the squirrels were devouring and leaving shells and bits all over their (neighbors) driveway. DD was originally diagnosed as allergic to peanuts, then peanuts and almonds, now again just peanuts so she is technically not allergic to tree nuts.

So my question is would you worry about the nuts in the area if this was your kid? She is three and she picks up all sorts of things while exploring their huge yard, which I love (our yard is tiny so it's nice to see her enjoy it), but I don't feel fully comfortable with the nuts around.

Any thoughts??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:22 pm 

Did she get tested for walnuts, or only almonds before? If she is not allergic to the walnuts, I wouldn't be worried. (They wouldn't be cross contaminated with peanuts like store-bought ones might be). Also, is the other tree chestnut or horse chestnut? There are a lot of horse chestnut trees around here, but I think they are different from the chestnuts that we eat - I guess you could get her tested for whatever tree it is, so you know for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't worry. I doubt there's much protein in the shell. Wash hands after playing outside and that she be enough.
Dd has played at parks where there are all sorts of trees (and many peanut shells on the ground) and not reacted.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb