You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: craddle cap & allergies?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:36 pm 

My son is 3 1/2 and we have struggled with sensitivities for just over 2 years now. I have learned not to say allergies because I get dismissed by the medical community very quickly!

We are unsure what it is he is reacting to. His symptoms began with local hives on his face where sauce touched it (he is a messy eater!). It seems to go in waves his reactions. He can go for months and have no reactions, then he will react start getting hives from lots of different foods. The last wave of reactions culminated in one where his hands were the reddest I've ever seen a persons hands and he complained that it felt like he had something stuck in his throat. We got an epi-pen prescribed after this even though the doctor and allergist do not believe that it is an allergy. Every reaction occurs while eating.

He then didn't have any reactions of any kind for 5 months. A couple weeks ago he broke out with hives on his face (only where there was sauce touching his face) and his face was red and was itchy (all over his face, not just where the hives were). This is the first time he has been at all itchy.

I've noticed that his craddle cap is coming back. He had thick craddle cap that developed when he was about 6 months. It seems to come and go with the flare up of his allergies. At 3 1/2, I was surprised to see it come back this time!

We are baffled as to what is causing his problem. It makes it very hard to avoid the problem and we are completely dismissed by our doctor. Although she did FINALLY agree that he should have the allergist consulted before his next vaccine as he broke out in hives on his arm with the last dose of it.

I guess I'm curious whether other people have craddle cap as a symptom in their children. Also just to vent my frustration in general!

Leanne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Dd had cradle cap as an infant and youngster. It really has only resolved itself in the last year or so (she's almost 9). Her hair is very prone to tangles and I had been using a de-tangler but have simply been using a watered down conditioner in a spray bottle for the past year. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not.

If your child is reacting to sauces sometimes but not always, I would wonder if it is the acidity he's reacting to. I suspect (without knowing more) that he is going into episodes of hyper reactivity. It could be an environment trigger- it could be just about anything. Try keeping a diary of when he reacts. Is there a high pollen count at the time? A change in laundry soap?

Have you had skin prick tests done for the food which he reacted to? One can develop an allergy at any time and the throat complaint on top of the hives and itchy skin is a concern.

God luck, welcome and feel free to vent here!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:46 pm 

He has had skin prick test for everything he was eating at the time of the reaction with his throat. They didn't show any indication that was the cause. I have wondered if it could be anything to do with medications/vaccines or illness. It could be something seasonal as well. Maybe both. If it is one of these underlying causes and not the food itself, I feel frustrated because I can't avoid seasonal allergens or illness (without putting him in a bubble!), and then I have no idea what will set him off. The breakfast he was eating when he had the throat reaction was free of any food that he would typically get hives from. I sort of feel lost trying to figure it out. Do I just carry his epi-pen and stop fretting about it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

If he had a virus around that time, yes, sometimes the body will react to the virus by flaring up in a case of hives.

Carry his epipen and feed him foods he does not react to. You can gradually introduce the foods he has tested negative to if that is what the allergist suggested. Do so one at a time. You can put a little bit of the food on his arm and wait, then on his cheek and wait, then on his lip and wait, then let him eat it.

Feed him one such food, a little bit for several days in a row (if he tolerates it). Stop giving him that food for a few days and introduce another one.

The idea is to be sure you'd know what he is reacting to if he reacts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:31 pm 

My son had cradle cap all over his forehead/head as a baby which for the most part cleared sometime in his second year. Yesterday at 3.5 years old, I discovered a big patch of cradle cap on the top of his head (where the soft spot once was). I have no clue where it came from but I am going to strive to be more vigilant in washing it away now. He tends to get a much sweatier head in the summer and we don't wash his hair as much as we are too busy having fun outside till late.

An old fashioned hair roller(curler) with the tiny teeth combs it away quite nicely when it has been wet.

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Everything that I read says it has to do with dry skin and not to wash the hair too often. (They also say it's a build up of oil and skin-I find that counterintuitive to dry skin).

We only wash dd's hair once a week and use a leave in conditioner daily.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:04 am 

Both of my kids have had cradle cap from birth. DS2's cleared up when we got rid of our cats 6 months ago. DS1's comes and goes, but it got a lot better when he turned 4 and he's 4.5 now - it could tie in to our dog dying. He's got some type of allergies, none confirmed, but also has eczema and asthma.

We douse his head in olive oil about an hour before we wash his hair for 2 or 3 days and this works wonders for clearing the cradle cap up temporarily. We only wash his hair every 2 days (unless he's really dirty). If he's sensitive to olives you could try any other gentle oils that he's not sensitive to.

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma