You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:17 am 

I'm not sure where to post this.. so if it needs to be moved, please do. We have not had any problem with DD being allergic to any environmental things. Her allergies have continued to be egg and peanut. DH has terrible environmental allergies, but DD seems to be fine so far.

However, last night we went for a little walk after dinner. It was bloody hot and since DD has taken to running around nekkid, and we live in a rural area, I let her just walk with only a diaper on. We started walking down our road, and the only thing I saw her touch were dandelions, some wheat plants (I think that's what they looked like) and Queen Anne's lace flowers. All of the sudden I noticed her scratching her belly, and she started breaking out on her chest/belly and her back. I took her straight to the house and got her some Benydryl.. luckily that worked quickly. Geesh, never thought I had to bring it for a walk!

Anyway, I'm just wondering if this is a precurser to environmental allergies, or is it a fluke, or a sensitivity? I'll bring it up with the allergist next time, but we don't go until October.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:48 am 

Ds gets a red rash from being outdoors due to ragweed and grass. Usually the same thing, belly, chest/back a bit on his face. I give Reactine or Claritin before we know we are venturing out doors. For us that was all the allergist could suggest to do other than keeping him on preventative asthma meds as the environmental get his asthma triggered.
Ragweed has been high all week. I keep daily tabs on the pollen index for Ottawa.
On the other hand our daughter has no allergies but after going for a walk with DH the other night came home bright red, I mean her entire legs ankle to thigh and entire arms were itchy and red red red. Maybe the pollens are extra strong this year and are affecting everyone??

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:31 am 

thanks BC2007. I'm hoping it's just high counts this year, and a fluke.... she has never had issues before while playing outside, so I'm going to hope it's a one time thing. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:30 pm 

I have hayfever, but noticed I would get an itchy rash on my arms from weeding in the garden, and heard from my neighbour that many people are sensitive to buttercup leaves, and that's what I was weeding! So it's gloves and long sleeves now.