You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Tests
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:24 pm 

My 15 month old son was diagnosed with a milk allergy at 5 weeks when we arrived in emergency..he was exclusively breastfed (-neither my husband or myself or our parents or siblings have any allergies...) We were in hospital for 5 weeks and he was finally put onto Neocate...he's doing really well and can now tolerate soy...
When I discovered I was pregnant with my daughter, I went off of all obvious sources of dairy during my pregnancy -which I was assured was a great choice...She is now 4 months old and has shown signs of eczema. I have recently been on an elimination diet for wheat, soy and egg and have still avoided milk....Her skin tests came back negative for all of these including milk -but she's reacting to something....

Does anyone know if the blood tests are more indicative of allergies...obviously, she's taking longer to react and its not showing right away on the skin test...
Frustrated in Hamilton!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:43 pm 

Can't answer your specific question, but it might not be any of the top ten allergens she is reacting to. Could be a less common allergy.

Might not be food. Laundry soap comes to mind. If you are washing her clothes in gentle soap, but using regular soap and softeners for your clothing she could be reacting from close contact with your clothing. If you are using a softener in her clothes you might want to stop - all my kids had (and still have) problems with anything that whitens, brightens, or makes clothes smell nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:18 pm 

Both my daughters had eczema. We used (and still use ) ivory snow laundry detergent, and use an extra rinse cycle...also nothing added to the dryer (ex. bounce ).

We are really careful with baby products. Use a really gentle soap (like baby dove) and avoid scented products. Use little soap, and rinse well. A small baby tub might not allow you to rinse enough, I used a small seat in the large bathtub because it diluted the soap more. Watch your baby lotions. We use glaxal base (no fragrance etc.) , my friends baby was found out to have a milk allergy when he was 9 months old...he had been using a lotion containing milk for months! His eczema cleared when she threw out the lotion. My daughter always scratched...which made the eczema worse. I sewed the sleeves shut on her sleepers so that she could only rub her itches...not tear her skin with tiny sharp nails. Her skin could heal better when she was not tearing it open.

My oldest daughter had lots of eczema when she was a baby, but is *only* allergic to peanuts and nuts, something she was not at all in contact with, and I avoided while pregnant and breastfeeding. She has since outgrown 99% of the eczema.

Looking back, my youngest daughters milk allergy developed over time. She was eating cream of mushroom soup on rice at 11 months, until she had a major reaction to milk on her first birthday...then she reacted to all traces of milk.

It is possible to have sensitive skin, and not food allergies. My niece had terrible eczema, and even on her diaper area that would bleed. It was really bad. She is 6 and has no food allergies, no eczema, no athsma...nothing. My friends daughter had terrible eczema as a baby, which was clear when she avoided scented products and used gentle laundry detergent, and rinsed twice.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:59 am 

We are very careful about lotions and detergents -as we went through all of this with my son...we use Glaxal and ivory snow, rinsed twice, no softener.... I guess its just frustrating not knowing what is making her react and not being able to help it yet or stop it....

I would love it if she just had sensitive skin...but I'm thinking that this probably will not be the case...we'll just wait and see....maybe it wouldn't hurt to have the blood tests done.....

Post subject: Re: Tests
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:19 pm 

Cole wrote:
I have recently been on an elimination diet for wheat, soy and egg and have still avoided milk....Her skin tests came back negative for all of these including milk -but she's reacting to something....

My son (who was diagnosed with a peanut allergy at about 18 months old) had his first appearance of mild eczema on his cheeks at about 3 months old and then occasional mild flareups in his first year that his doctor suggested we treat with over the counter cortisone cream. I breastfed him exculsively as well and once we had his peanut allergy diagnosed - looking back, I attribute his eczema, in part, to all of the peanut butter I was eating while breastfeeding. If you've already considered the suggestions given to you from AnnaMarie and Saskmommyof 2 -- perhaps she's allergic to peanut / treenuts??

Last edited by ethansmom on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:38 pm 

My youngest sister had severe eczema and has a lot of food allergies---but we're not sure what exactly triggers the eczema as she believes she has eliminated the foods she is allergic to. but she has a lot of environmental allergies. detergent is an issue with her too. for some reason, she can't use Tide but Sunlight (the powder but not the liquid) is fine. This might not be it---but it might be worth trying a natural detergent like Nature Clean in case your daughter is reacting to the petrochemicals.

About the tests---the skin tests are considered to be more sensitive. but neither the skin tests or the blood tests are accurate. there can be false positives and false negatives (i've had both false positives and negatives for the skin tests--but I've only ever had one blood test done--for wheat. it was positive.) but it might be worth doing in case you did find something and eliminating that food from your daughter's diet helps the eczema.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:41 pm 

some people can actually react to Ivory snow soap...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:23 pm 

Looking back, one indicator that my daughter (and my friends son ) were reacting to food I ate was that her facial eczema would worsen immediately following a feeding. My friends son would even get hives following a feeding if his mom had consumed any milk products. My daughter would also get redish bumps with slightly raised lighter centres (probably really small hives ), and redish blothches that would disappear shortly after she was done eating.

Does her eczema worsen during or immediately after a feeding or is it consistantly there all the time?

I also thought about nipple creams and body washes etc. that you may be using. Most nipple creams contain lanolin, something I have noticed that creams for sensitive skin state that they are free of.

Could there be an issue with dust or pets? Our house is pet free, my husband is bothered by dust. I use allergen reducers on my upholsery and carpets such as febreeze allergen reducer spray or arm and hammer powdered carpet allergen remover. I also change the furnace filter regularily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:38 pm 

My daughter's eczema started at 3 months too and was later diagnosed with food allergies. Before her testing, her skin reacted when we touched her after eating her allergens. We have learned a great deal since then of course. We wear only cotton on our daugher which helps her skin. When she was in diapers - we gave her blocks or a book to look at so that she would not scratch during changes. We bath her everyday and after baths we just pat her dry and then lather on Vaseline (with cortisone if needed) to seal in the moisture just before bed. We also watch the humidity levels in the house. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:48 am 

What a difficult, frustrating situation. My youngest is 11 months and has multiple allergies and eczema. It is so hard to know what to do and such a personal and emotional decision. I started with a similar elimination diet and kept adding to it the more I didn't get anywhere with anything else.

For me, my moments of sanity came from following a few foods diet. Because the variety of foods is restricted (not volume!) I eat pretty much the same thing every day and I know if a flare up happens that it isn't because of what I eat. That is what I have struggled with the most, not knowing if it was what I ate or something else. It has been really hard, but worth it to watch my son's skin finally heal (read: not ooze and bleed) after 7 months.

We've gotten to a place where we can introduce foods to him and be able to tell if that food is causing a reaction (pear took almost 3 weeks to develop a reaction). Because he is reacting to foods that I also eat, I'm going to be weaning him to Neocate as I can't eliminate any more foods out of my diet. If he was able to tolerate more foods, I would have been introducing foods back into my diet alternately with him.

let me know how it goes....