You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Preventing Allergies...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm 

We just went to the allergist for DS2, who is 2 years old, to follow up on his asthma and continuing allergy symptoms. The asthma was official last week, but I knew what it was in October when he had his first asthma event. He was diagnosed with a severe cat allergy a year ago by the same allergist. When he was born, "they" recommended exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and then starting only certain types of solids before age 1 and no peanuts until after age 2 or 3 (depending on allergies in the family).

When I asked about starting DS on peanuts he said they have done a complete 360 and now recommend starting ALL solids between 4 and 6 months (which is great unless you are my DS and didn't want to eat anything except breastmilk until we got rid of our cats at 15 months old). Has anyone else heard this and does anyone know if there has been an official statement? Anyone have any thoughts?

The reasoning he gave was that there hasn't been any evidence that the delaying of solids actually helped reduce allergies, in fact it looks like it has contributed to an increased incidence.

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

You are correct in the reversal in theory on when to introduce foods. They still don't know much and as information becomes available, they are finding their past beliefs are wrong. What's a parent to do? The best we can with what we've got.

According to Eat Right Ontario
Quote:
Research does not show that delaying the above foods for longer than 6 months (and milk at 9 months) prevents food allergies. You can introduce these foods, one at a time, every 2-7 days at any time after 6 months of age.
http://www.eatrightontario.ca/en/viewdo ... spx?id=456

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb