You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:47 pm 

My little guy was 2 when tested, but needles weren't used. First, a drop of the allergen was placed on the skin, and then the nurse "scratched" it with a small pin. He didn't feel a thing until the reactions set in then he was quite itchy.

When the nurse originally called me to confirm the appointment, I asked if she could make sure testing included other items such as shellfish & eggs as they were not on the "regular" list of allergens tested. Turns out he was allergic to shrimp, but not so much lobster (I would've given him shrimp first, as it is cheaper) - I'm very glad I thought to add it to the testing - he hadn't had any fish before testing. I knew he was allergic to eggs and peanuts before testing.

After testing, turns out he is allergic to a number of environmental allergens, cats, horses, grass, dogs, but somehow our hairy beast of a dog doesn't seem to affect him (weird).

I am due to re-schedule him for testing again this summer, as the allergist recommended ttesting every 2 years. We see an allergist at a clinic, as there seems to be a shortage of pediatric allergists, with a very long waitlist for those that are available.

I didn't get very much info from the allergist or my family doctor, other than to carry an Epi-pen. I had to research everything myself and am pretty confident in my knowledge, but I will "expand" testing this year into the particulars of the trees & grass allergies, as well as finding out more (or getting a better referral) to an athsma clinic.

Good luck to you, give your wee guy lots of hugs, explain it will be hard, but it's stuff you need to know (maybe a small science project?) get him involved into asking questions. It may cost you a treat...

Cheers,
Buzimom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear he isn't allergic to the family pet! :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:00 am 

Thanks for the advice.

The reason for the testing is actually testing for animals. (cats and rabbits) I expect due to family history, she may want to do some food testing as well. She might also want to do insects. We know he is allergic to at least two insects because of serious reactions he's had - that's why he carries an epi-pen. But, the doctor didn't want to do testing at that time - he felt it was best to assume allergies to all insects and just stay away from them - watch every bite and sting closely - because they cannot test for every insect and we didn't see what stung him.

Karen, I'm not sure it was intentional, but some of your post really had me laughing. I see my kids in some of your descriptions. I also don't believe in lieing to my children. I do sometimes lie by omission though. (As in, I might not tell him anything about testing, unless he actually asks.) When he needs a needle and he asks "will it hurt" I respond with either "not as much as the illness it will prevent" or "not as much as being hit by a truck". Then, I give a little pinch and tell him it might hurt that much, but not more. Personally, I'm still terrified of dentists because of being lied to at my first appointment.

And, I'm OK with a little bit of bribery. Maybe a good book to pass the time. (He loves reading.)

Buzimom, my son has a microscope and a chemistry set. He absolutely LOVES science. I think I'll do some research, and maybe try to find an age appropriate project to make of all this. What a fantastic idea. :D Glad to hear your own dog doesn't bother your son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:57 pm 

That is a great idea to do a sort of science project. Much better than bribing them with candy!

Glad I made you laugh, Anne Marie. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:07 pm 

Ok, I have 4 boys and the science project forum came about by accident... Couple of years ago lice found their way into one of my guys hair. I had him sitting quietly watching TV, while I combed, and picked and combed. I dipped the comb into a glass jar of water. Eventually, these lice were swimming! Of couse, the boys all gathered around and questions flew, then the swim contests were judged. (ewww) But boys are boys, and I looked at this as a learning opportunity. Funny how seemingly small things can change your perspective ... now everytime we have a "critter" in the house, it must be watched and analyzed - even the "flushing" process is analyzed - did it swim?(!) I didn't think that I "shelter" my guys - they just don't have a pond to visit to watch tadpoles turn into frogs. But I do love that they seem to question everything and its purpose. (OK, most of the time) It does open up some fantastic dialogue. Kids have such an interesting viewpoint on stuff that us big people just don't always understand or listen to.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:02 am 

My daughter already has her allergist at JD Allergy Clinic. The first time my daughter had a severe fit because of an allergy to her medication. I brought her to the hospital. She was treated by the same doctor who had given her the medication. I only found out later that it was his fault if she ended up like that. He could have killed her. Then a friend told me about JD. I never had any problems with them so I always bring her there.