All times are UTC - 4 hours

Was your allergic child premature?
Yes 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
No 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
Other medical problem 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Preemies?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:45 am 

I've been hearing a lot about overly-clean environments and the relation to allergies lately and it got me thinking.... My now three year old daughter was born 10 weeks early (2 lbs 14 oz!) and so a sanitized environment was a necessity for most of her first year due her weakened immune system. She is severely allergic to tree nuts now, with her first anaphylactic reaction at 20 months old. I was wondering if any other allergic children here were premature or had otherwise compromised immune systems as infants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:26 am 

My son was 2 weeks late and was 10 lbs 3 oz. He is allergic to peanuts, eggs, cats & dogs. (tree nuts??) No family history of allergies. His immune systems was fine as an adult. I did develope a rash during my last month of pregnancy that I still wonder if maybe if my son was reacting to something while I was pregnant with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Our daughter was 1 week late. I was very sure of my dates.
She aso has asthma which creates an already compromised respiratory system and can agravate the allergic reaction.
She is ana to egg and dairy.
We have a history of hayfever, cat and certain tree pollens but no food allergies.
She kicked whenever I ate ice cream while pregnent (hmmm). She had eczema on her cheeks until she was completely weaned. Athough I had read a lot of literature, I didn't understand that the milk was crossing over into the breast mik. I am now convinced that it was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:45 am 

My allergist tested me for an immune deficiency on account of all the allergies, but I'm fine. I do wonder about one of my sisters though because it seems like she catches everything that goes around. My other sister has chronic fatigue, but we think that was brought on by a severe mystery illness that she had when working overseas.

When I was a child I was sick all the time + I had recurring ear infections which antibiotics didn't seem to help at all. The other odd thing is a got chicken pox twice, but I bet that could be because of the asthma meds. Now I rarely get even a cold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:59 pm 

Both of my daughters were 11 days overdue...and delivered as a result of induction. The oldest had eczema from day one. The youngest had worse eczema, and severly dry skin (possibly from being so overdue). She was also very mucousy and spent the first day on a monitor, and had to be sucked clean of mucous a few times the first day. Her ecemza was always really bad (probably because I ate milk and chicken a lot ). When I suggested that she was bothered my something I ate, it was dismissed by the doctor because she was an extremely happy, easy going baby...and they assumed that if she was bothered by my diet, she would have been miserable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:02 pm 

I have two allergic kids but was only able to answer the question for one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:41 pm 

I had difficult pregs but was able to make it two days late with one son and the other, well he was 43 weeks along. My sons are 25 and 28 so that is long time ago. I have to be on bed rest while preg the second boy for 4 months and on and off with the other one. Both were big for me and came at 7 pound and onces range.
The oldest boy at birth had been given formaula as I had complications and had to wait to breastfeed and he was very ill from the formula. He lost lots of weight and was moved to the premie nursey. When my fever broke I was able to nurse and he put it all back on.
My family history is allergies and asthma, food allergies and anaphylaxis.
I like Jodi develped a rash during my last month with both pregs It was really small red and itchy and all over my stomach. It started in a small spot and grew.
I could not eat beef at all while preg it made me very sick to my stomach.
My sons have many allergies also.
I was supposely late and about 7 7 and my family says I was always unable to eat certain foods. and also late.
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:04 pm 

Jodi wrote:
His immune systems was fine as an adult.

Okay so obviously I was a little tired after painting my son's room all day when I posted my reply. He's only 3, although he sometimes acts like a little adult!