You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:58 am 

Does anyone know the actual statistics re:the odds of a younger sibling having the same allergies as the older child? We are currently pregnant with #2 and I'm just curious. I know families where the older child isn't allergic and the younger one is, and heaps of families where both (or all) have the same allergies and just outgrow them at different rates, but I don't know any families where the older child is allergic and the younger one isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:59 am 

Hi there, andygal! CONGRATULATIONS!!! so exciting :happydance :huggy :bouncyblue (that's teal, I don't lean one way or the other -pink or blue :| :thumbsup

We are that family when it comes to the anaphylaxis with eggs and the deet in the bugsprays. Although DS does get stuffy at certain times of the year....and cats whooo hoo. not so with DD, she can manage some (most) kitty's well. Aghhhh-go figure. I must admit, some foods, we had picnics at the hospital parking lot in our family....was ok we knew people there. :lol: No idea on the odds though....and I believe you can really make stats say anything, dependant on the questions asked. I've been getting very interested in politics here in Alberta lately..and have listened carefully to those phone calls we get from those parties :roll:

Anyhow, your family is special.....whether it is allergic living or what ever. :banana Yeah again!!!

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:39 pm 

I have no info on the odds, though I can say that my oldest has a peanut allergy and my youngest *seems to be* allergy free so far, though he has never actually eaten peanuts, only traces.

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Congratulations :D

Don't worry too much about the statistics, they change like the wind! Just know that it's all the mother fault... :rofl

Focus on staying healthy and let it be what it will be-you really don't have much impact at this point anyway.

You can ask your child's allergist about when to introduce new foods to the baby and such later. Do't foget that you can book a consultation appointment separately from the skin prick test. Often the allergist can squeeze you in while waiting for the wheals to raise on the other patients.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:33 am 

My oldest has multiple food allergies - started around age 5. My youngest (now 13) has none!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:52 pm 

I'm the oldest and my younger sister has no allergies! We're 22 and 19 now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:32 pm 

I have four sibilings I am the only one with allergies. Of all the children born to us my one sister has a child with allergies. I really think you will find many different configurations. Don't sweat allergies at this point. They are so much easier to look after when they are inside. :rofl
Congratulations

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:43 pm 

I asked our allergist and he said it's actually quite low (25-30%) because we don't have any food allergies in the immediate family. Apparently, if he or I had food allergies it would be much higher. Fingers crossed!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:20 am 
Site Admin

andygal wrote:
I asked our allergist and he said it's actually quite low (25-30%) because we don't have any food allergies in the immediate family. Apparently, if he or I had food allergies it would be much higher. Fingers crossed!!!

Fingers crossed indeed! Just enjoy each phase of life and don't worry about the future. Worry is a useless energy waster!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:37 pm 

Congratulations!

I have 3 now, and was quite worried about having all 3 with food allergies, but it seems our second doesn't have any food allergies (haven't tried peanut), and our third is too young to know (he's 3 weeks old - so yeah.. no idea oabout him yet). I wouldn't stress about it, i've been told there's not much we can do either way if they have them or not. Just try to relalx and enjoy the experience!