You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:26 am 

I thought it would be nice for the forum to share some good, happy or funny stories about coping with allergies with babies and toddlers.

Here's mine: My DS, 18 mos., was diagnosed with yet another food allergy (eggs) and my DH and I were discussing how to handle being invited to a brunch at a friend's house. We were weighing the need to keep him safe at these kinds of things (and the inevitable "hovering" that requires) versus just skipping the brunch and staying at home.

"Are we living in a bubble?" I asked, and before my husband could even reply my son (playing nearby) ran to the kitchen counter and snatched the bottle of blowing bubbles:

"BUB-BAs! BO BUB-BAs!..." He was so excited that we were talking about one of his favorite activities.

So I'm not sure if we live in a bubble, but we are certainly blowing a lot of them these days :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:09 am 

Love it! Thanks for sharing, what a smart adorable little boy you have. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:17 am 

Oh, I wish kids had dials so we could turn them back for a day....although I enjoy them so now at this stage of the game, I miss those days.

On another notable funny story, right now as I chat, I was all ready for my appointment to see my MLA here. As I am stepping out the door at like 5 minutes to 9 the Alberta Gov calls and he's not available. I hate it when I'm all geared for something and it fizzles. Ok, this is not a good story, but I needed to share....and I feel better already.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:19 am 

I thought my good story would fit here on your thread Aborden.

Yesterday we bought DS a Vtech Mobigo. After letting him play around with it for a few minutes we sat down to take a look at it with him. DH and I were very confused as there are 6 games on each cartridge and DS freaked 'no peanuts, no peanuts' no peanuts' every time we tried to view one of the games . He actually was blocking us from hitting the screen icon for that game. :scratchy Finally I talked him into letting me look at the game, turns out the game is a squirrel collecting acorns. I can't believe DS made that connection to peanuts/tree nuts. :happydance
We had a great talk about what a good job he did recognizing something he was allergic to and how great it was he stayed safe and didn't want to touch it. Then we talked about how a game, or book is safe to touch but not real food.
Then we talked about his allergies and how not everyone is allergic like DD and us and how the squirrel's mom says he is safe to collect acorns as he isn't allergic to tree nuts/peanuts/etc.....
Each teeensy allergy connection is a huge breakthrough as we've been living this for almost 3 1/2 years and it never felt like he'd be old enough to finally start 'getting it' himself. :banana

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Lol, he's getting it OK. :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb