You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Your daily routine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:36 pm 

What are some aspects of your daily parenting routine that are "allergy specific"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:11 pm 

Always making sure he has his epi-pen on before he goes out the door.

Finding it when he takes it off at home and can't remember where he put it. :oops:

Worrying every time there's a red spot. Is it a new allergy? Can't even describe the fear when he develops an entire rash.

My son has allergies to insects - but I worry every time he tries a new or rarely eaten food. What if? Every parent worries about their children. I just have one extra thing to add to my list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:56 pm 

That sounds really stressful. It sounds like you do a good job of keeping him safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:29 pm 

Whenever we leave the house I ensure we have the Epi-Pen with us. And as soon as we get home I place the Epi-Pen in it's place so we always know where it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:00 pm 

Same thing... we always make sure we have the epi-pen. I'm obsessed with the epi-pen!! LOL
And reading labels... even ones I've read before. It's almost like I have to read it one more time just to be sure LOL. Grocery shopping takes forever cause you never know when they might change the ingredients in something.
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:11 pm 

I agree about the epi-pen. It isn't enough that we carry just one with us. We also read read read everything. It's gotten to the point where I'll read hand soap at a friend's house first, or the sunlotion she applies to her kids... Somedays it feels like we are living in a bubble but I know that alot of that is just fear of what could happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:32 pm 

LOL I'm the same way!! I've found several lotions that list Lecithin as an ingredient, one at a friends house. She had to wash her hands right away to get it off. I'm sooo glad that the 80's fad of egg shampoos & conditioners is pretty much over LOL
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:34 pm 

What I didn't realize was that some manufacturer's didn't put the cross contam warning on some of their products (like a shampoo that we had). I read it somewhere that one of the kid's shampoos that we were using was made on the same line as one that contained almond oil. Always learning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:43 pm 

:!: :!: :!: I didn't know that!! Thanks for the warning!
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:24 pm 

I had no idea they can use almond oil in shampoo. You are absolutely right to read labels again and again. There was this one brand name of cookies that had been peanut/nut free for a long time and then one day we bought it without re-reading the labels/ingredients. At home, my son took one bite of a cookie and spit it out and said he didn't like it. His tongue felt funny. I immediately read the bag and it had a warning that this batch had come in contact with nuts. SCARY!! Luckilly his reaction didn't amount to anything that time. Now we re-read labels all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:29 pm 

My Dad sometimes laughts at me because I always re-read ingredients of product I've bought over and over again. But you never know when they'll decide to change it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

As a hold over from the diaper bag, we carry a backpack every where dd goes. it contains: compete change of clothes (she's 3 1/2), diaper wipes for wiping down tables and chairs, a container of "safe" finger food eg. pretzels or raisins, a small bag of "safe" lollipops, 1-2 small toys, tissues and a fannypack which contains: 3 epi-pens, benedryl, 2 asthma puffers and an airochamber, her healthcard, vaccination record, Dr.'s business cards, hospital cards, stickers and about $8.00 in change (for hospital parking, phone calls home and vending machines).
My routine invoves packing her lunch for daycare, extra soya milk for the provider, reading those labels and e-mailing companies about vague food listings (natural flavour, caramel-what are these made from?)
Dd asks me to "Go on the compooter to see if I can eat it".

Post subject: Daily routines
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:01 am 

I just read the complimentary copy of allergic living - our son had an anaphalatic reaction to a 'shared' peanut ritz bitz cracker when he was 9 months old. He's 4 years old now and wears his medic alert bracelet with pride! We've been to 4 allergists, a dermatologist, pediatrician, family dr. etc. They all ask if we carry the epipen jr - NO ONE has asked if we know how to use it. We've read and re read the directions of course and had a vague demo from the pharmacist - now from reading I find out you can get a practice epipen? Where do I find these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:26 am 

Quote:
...now from reading I find out you can get a practice epipen? Where do I find these?

We purchased ours from Anaphylaxis Canada - log on to their websit at http://www.anaphylaxis.org/index.asp and you'll find the EpiPen Trainer listed in their "Product Catalogue".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:45 am 

beaners, I'm considerably older than your son, and no one has ever shown me how to use the epi either except for my former family doctor--but I asked him and he had forgotten and had to look up the instructions. In fact, my knowledge about allergies (which I thought was fairly good at the time) was very sketchy until an allergist directed me to Anaphylaxis Canada. so i joined and bought the epi trainer. i would also suggest asking your pharmacist whether your technique is right just to double check. (i learned a few extra tips from a pharmacist from Shoppers drug mart who was there to check this.)