You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:04 pm 

I'm looking for advice on how to handle this. DD has been going to a private day home 1 morning a week for the last 4 months or so. This gives me a chance to get errands done and go to my prenatal appointments and gives her a chance to spend some time around other kids without me or DH around. I call the day home provider the afternoon before we go to find out what she is serving for lunch so that I can determine if it is safe for DD and, if not, send her with a safe but similar option. All has gone relatively smooth until today.

When I went to pick DD up the day home provider was washing DD's onesie, as apparently there had been a diaper blowout, which is very unusual for DD. On the walk home I asked DD about her day; who she played with, what were her favorite toys and what she had for lunch. She told me she had cucumber, a ham sandwich (which I provided, with safe bread and ham) and cheese. Wait a minute, what? I asked if she meant the other kids had cheese, but she was quite insistent hat she had cheese as well. Since the provider hadn't mentioned any reaction or issue I assumed that DD was maybe confused, since she is only 2. I changed her diaper before putting her down for a nap and discovered a violent, bright red rash, almost to the point of looking like a burn. She's only had a rash like this twice before, both times after accidental exposure to something with milk in it.

I called the day home provider to explain the reaction, confirm the other kids had cheese for lunch and to ask if it was possible that DD had managed to get some off someone else's plate. She was certain that DD had not had any, but only because the child sitting next to her was not very likely to share her lunch.

I'm not sure what to do. We don't know for sure if she had cheese, but it definitely appears to be the same rash as the couple of previous reactions she has had from accidental exposure. However, other reactions have also included bright red cheeks/hives, itchy eyes and either vomiting or diarrhea (which would explain the diaper blow out.) I'm wondering if the day home provider just didn't notice the red cheeks or itchy eyes (which is an even bigger concern, because if she did have cheese the reaction could have been so much worse) or if I am over reacting and DD just had a yucky tummy that happens to coincide with a day the other kids had cheese for lunch...

I would love to hear how the rest of you would handle this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:51 am 

I think you have to go with your gut reaction on this one... and with your examination of your daughter and the diaper blowout, it seems a very strong possibility that she did, somehow, consume some cheese. Managing allergies is difficult for those dealing with it, so for others, it can take even longer, if ever, that they truly "get" the seriousness of it. Children as young as 2 need more of a barrier when eating, rather than expecting a 2 year old to manage sitting next to someone eating their allergen, or the potential for spilt milk (in this case). They need 100% supervision. Have you felt you trust the caregiver, and does she truly understand food allergies? I don't feel you are overreacting... you need to know that your child is safe. I'm not sure what you will decide, but you will need to determine if this home daycare is a safe place for your child. Do you have any other options to consider?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:19 pm 

Julie has expressed the core of what I would express as well. How are things going now? Any further diaper blowouts?