You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 am 

I came across a very interesting and heartfelt article about children & teens living with allergies. When you scroll to the comments section, however, you will read some of the meanest and coldest reactions to this article. I honestly don't know how anyone can be so blase about disregarding our children's safety and wellbeing. I know the internet and anonymity can bring out the worst in people, but I sometimes wonder if this is the way people truly feel about allergic children. It makes it so much more difficult to go out into this world and hope we don't run into one of those psychopaths...

Here is the article:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/31 ... esearcher/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:34 am 

Most of the people who posted there are just plain assholes. No other words for it. Such stupitidy just made my blood preasure rise again and I just told them what I thought. Unfortunately, that is the world we live in with people only thinking about themselves. It's always me, me, me, and who cares about anyone else.

Positive thing is children have a lot more support than I did when I went to school in the 80's. School was a living nightmare with kids trying to make you eat your allergen, in my case peanuts, to see what would happen. They thought it was fun. I had to fight for my life more times than I can think. I was never the strongest one so it was a battle of every instant. Yeah, we withdraw from the world. It's a question or survival. Maybe some people have the chance to have a better environment or are stronger mentally to take all the anxiety and stress, but you find ways to deal with it. :verymad

At least now, as I am getting older (38), I find more and more people that are understanding and that will show me respect. I play board games with a group of friends (people I met about a year ago in a gaming club) every week and when I am there, peanuts and peanut butter snacks are fordbidden during the evening when I am around. :thanksign

Heck, my employer (we are about 200 employee) has a no parfume policy. It's even in the employee guidebook. When I was hired, I pointed out my food allergy and they amended the guidebook to make it a peanut free work environment. They are still some people who will use their head and think of others. :thanksign

Rejoice in that and the hell with all the nimcompoops.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Dear worriedmommy, are you fairly new to the world of allergies? If so, you need to be told, "Do not read the comments of articles.". :huggy There are 4 types of people who respond to articles in the press.
1. Most posts are done by a small but busy group of nasty individuals out there who will comment on all sorts of stories. It's nothing personal, they usually don't know anything about food allergies and they don't care. They simply want to rail against any and all stories. They get satisfaction from inflaming others and any reply is positive attention to them. The best away to handle them is to ignore them. 8) It gets easier. If you find it very hard, try clicking on their profile and looking at other stories that they have commented on. You will soon see that they are all over the map.
2. A smaller group of people are those who have food allergies and who never forgave their parents for restricting their diets. They are somewhat in denial and often have reactions because they refuse to follow all of the advice regarding label reading, carrying an auto-injector etc. They accept reactions as part of life.
3. Interestingly, another group is made up of individuals who are dealling with other special needs. They seem to see any accomodation on the part of individuals with food allergies as getting more/better special treatment than them and they are bitter.
4. Finally, there are those who respond with real questions or comments and usually they know someone with food allergies. They are mainly supportive or willing to learn more.

The first few years after diagnosis are exhausting times charged with emotion and you are busy learning and applying that knowledge in real life. You simply don't have the emotional fortitude to delve into the abyss that is the comments. You will gain nothing and it will suck the life out of you, not to mention what a giant time waster it can be. I know people who have been dealing with anaphylaxis for over a decade and they still avoid the comments.

:huggy Don't worry! Surround yourself with people who respect and care about you. Be the world you want to live in! :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb