You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:04 pm 

I've been giving my son rice milk since he was about a year old and he is doing well. I was thinking of expanding his diet a little more and was wondering what else I could give him? What do you give your child who is allergic to soy and dairy?

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:00 pm 

Wow that must be difficult to have soy and dairy allergies. Calcium enriched orange juice could help your child get more vitamins and calcium. At the allergyexpo last year, I think there was a fortified potato beverage served. I believe it was fortified the same as soy and milk. Maybe someone else might know more about it. My daughter has dairy allergies and she will only drink soy, apple juice and water. She is quite content with these. We provide other options but she is not willing to try them. We don't push her. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Soy milk, apple juice, water, koolaide (occasinally) and tea at tea parties(1 part tea, 3 parts soy milk and too much sugar).
Oops! :oops: I just re-read the original post and your child is allergic to soy and dairy!
Can you give Almond milk?

Last edited by _Susan_ on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:48 pm 

Orange juice would be a great idea if it wasn't for his reflux disease. :(
It's not bad with dairy and soy allergies. Rice milk is great, and he loves it. I have been just looking for something different. Maybe something with more fat in it, or vitamins and protein. I have to buy him the enriched kind. He likes vanilla.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:29 pm 

We use Dari-Free, which is potato-based and comes in powder form that you mix with water. There's no fat it in though, unfortunately. I try to make sure Xavier gets his fat in other forms. (We also use enriched rice milk a lot these days.)

I've seen DariFree sold in health food stores in small bags. I've also seen a version of it sold as a liquid in cartons sold by English Bay. I don't know if it's the same product or just the same name.

I buy big bags of DariFree powder from Medallion Milk, the Canadian distributor (go to http://www.medallionmilk.com/ and click on Dairy Substitute Powders). More economical that smaller bags from the HFS.

For more info on DariFree from the people who make it, go to http://www.vancesfoods.com/.

It make great hot chocolate when mixed with Nesle Quik syrup. Xavier actually prefers Rice Dream these days, but when he couldn't have that because of his barley allergy, he drank DariFree all the time.

I think the product at Allergy Expo was something else - Tayo (http://www.tayofoods.com/win/flash/index.html). It tasted quite good too, and seems a lot like DariFree with regards to ingredients.

Hope this helps. If you do buy either of these products, I've got an awesome ice cream recipe for it. The author has asked that it not be posted, but I can email it privately.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:37 pm 

Shai - could you try making him a smoothie with rice milk and something like bananas and whatever else might appeal? You could add in a bit of safe oil maybe - that wouldn't be that obvious when all blended up. I think I've tried that in the past with DariFree (with frozen mango and banana it was super yummy).

Coconut milk also has a lot of fat but I'm not sure about vitamins, etc. It's not something I'd drink by itself, but if added to a smoothie it might help out. I have a great DF/EF chocolate pudding that is made with coconut milk. I think I also have a coconut rice pudding recipe. I'll try to post them in the Recipes section in the next day or so.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:06 pm 

Thanks for the ideas and links! The smoothie idea is great too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:12 pm 

http://www.nutiva.com/nutrition/recipes/icecream.php

I've been looking into what to do with hemp. It is so healthy, but I need more kid friendly ideas. I found the "milk" and "ice cream" ideas and thought the milk would be a great idea for the milk/soy allergic child.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:02 pm 

That sounds kind of yummy. I have those hemp hearts - I should give it a try.

Since I last posted, I've actually started making a lot of rice milk smoothies for my youngest. Basically we blend up
- rice milk (plain or vanilla)
- calcium fortified o.j. (optional)
- banana
- frozen or fresh strawberries
- small one-serving pot of vanilla or strawberry soy yogurt when available
- a bit of vanilla
- honey (the "magic ingredient" according to my son)

We just mix it to taste. It's delicious, and I get 3 servings out of it for his daycare snacks! Bonus!!

K.

[Edited to indicate that soy yogurt is used, not regular yogurt!]

Last edited by KarenOASG on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:22 pm 

I was drinking water at that age, but the water at my house tasted GOOD! ;)

You can make smoothies with coconut milk. Since he has reflux, do you find that he needs to avoid acid, sugar, or fat? I have to avoid sugar and refined starches and mint. Protein and fat help, though, in my case.

Coconut milk + frozen berries + a half scoop or scoop of protein powder (there are brown rice protein powders). Blend. Thin with nut milk (if he can have it--he's still a little young for nut products), rice milk, water, or OJ. If you don't thin it, it has the consistency of soft serve ice cream, but just until the fruit thaws.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:06 pm 

For me sugary/starchy things increase my reflux. My sister is the same way. We always wondered if there was other people who were like that. My sons reflux seems to be bothred by fatty. oil, greasy things. That's why we have had a problem getting enough fat in his diet. They wanted me to add oil to his rice milk, but when I did that he barfed it up. He can't eat anything like fast food or he will get terrible reflux problems. He doesn't like anything chocolate or too sweet. I don't know if that is because of his reflux, or just preference. He likes to eat vegetables, potatos, meat, and he loves his rice milk.
The smoothie sounds good. I think I might try it for him sometime. Maybe for myself too. :wink: