You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 pm 

We bought our aerochamber 4 years ago when our daughter was 1. Recently I saw new ones on display at Shoppers. According to the box, it was a new design which delivers the meds more effectively. I mentioned this to my husband. He has been concerned that ours was not working well. Our daughter has been having more difficulty with her asthma lately. Anyways, he looked up on the internet tonight and the company says that they should be replaced about every 2 years depending on how much they are used. We were never given this info! I feel very bad that maybe our daughter has been suffering because the aerochamber hasn't been working.

Does anyone have one of the new chambers? How often do you replace yours? We see our doctor on Wednesday. I will talk to her about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:13 am 
Site Admin

Never told to replace it every 2 years either! Boy, it seems with asthma that there is a lot we aren't told. It can be very frustrating.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:04 am 

My daughters are too old for aerochambers now but yes, it is true that you have to replace them every so often. I found out when I asked the pharmacist how I could wash it as it was getting really cloudy from the powder. She asked how we had it and when I said a few years, she said it was probably time to change it. So don't feel bad, I don't think it's common knowledge.

You think they would mention this on the aerochamber or on the packaging, as it is also in their best interest to sell more! :roll:

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:02 am 
Site Admin

I saw the new Aerochamber at the allergists' conference on the weekend. They also have better technology, ensuring that more of the medication gets out of the chamber and right down into the lungs.

Seemed impressive. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:27 pm 

Nicole - you might want to check with an expert, but my understanding is that everyone - adult or child - should use a spacer such as the Aerochamber for inhaled steroids like Flovent because they deliver the medication more effectively.

See http://adc.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/82/3/185/T1 for more as well as http://adc.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/82/3/185 , which says this (see the bold text in paragraph 2):

Quote:
Spacer devices, used with facemasks for children unable to breathe reliably through a mouthpiece, are the first choice of device for children younger than 5 years. Nebulised delivery of bronchodilator and prophylactic medications is inefficient and expensive, and nebulisers should be reserved for those unable or unwilling to use metered dose inhalers and spacers. The use of metered dose inhalers alone, breath actuated devices, and dry powder inhalers should be discouraged in this age group. It is important to read studies pertaining to this age group with care, as conclusions of a device's suitability may be generated across a wide age range, despite inclusion of a small number of subjects younger than 5 years chosen for their ability to undertake advanced respiratory manoeuvres.

For children older than 5 years, bronchodilators may be given via a breath actuated metered dose inhaler or a dry powder inhaler. We recommend a spacer device for the administration of inhaled steroids at any age. These are normally given twice a day, for instance on waking and retiring, so arguments that the spacer is not portable are not relevant. However, for low dose steroids, if the child is unwilling to use a spacer, breath actuated or dry powder devices may be chosen in preference to the metered dose inhaler alone. There is no evidence that changing to these devices improves compliance.

I have adult friends with asthma and they use an Aerochamber...

If you go to http://www.aerochambervhc.com/ you see a photo with the various types of Aerochamber available - they are different sizes for different ages. The blue one at the top left of the photo is the one my son now has. It's intended for kids 6 and up, I believe. It doesn't come with a mask, and the company rep that I spoke to told me that although you can buy a mask to attach to it, it's actually better not to use the mask once the child is old enough to cope with the one that goes into the mouth because it ensures that the child inhales the medication directly into the lungs (rather than through the nose first I guess). The study that I linked to above also supports that.

Anyway, this is just some info that might be of interest. As Susan said, there is a LOT that patients and parents are not told about asthma. I find it very frustrating, personally.

Kate - I also didn't find out until recently that the Aerochamber should be replaced every 2 years. Ours was about 4 years old as well. Either I didn't read the info in the packaging when we first got it (5 years ago) or it wasn't there. At any rate, like Gwen said, and according to the rep I spoke with, the new ones are supposed to be made of a better plastic that doesn't "grab" the medication and are thus more effective, so it would be worth investing in a new one if yours is "expired".

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:20 pm 

We did get a new areochamber - the blue one like yours Karen. We are still using the mask as she is not ready yet to use just a mouth piece. The new areochamber has a message right on it that states that it must be replaced after 2 years of steady use. I guess other people were missing the message like us! So much to learn... Thankfully allergy season is over now and her breathing is improved. My daughter says that winter is her favourite season because of the snow but I wonder if she is thinking about relief from the allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:43 am 

After reading this the other day, I checked our aerochamber - we got a new one last year and it does say to replace after 2 years right on it. We have the infant chamber that is kept at daycare (Connor rarely gets his puffers at daycare, so it's more of an emergency thing) that we bought when Connor was about 8 months old and got his first puffers. That chamber is 3 1/2 years old now - I checked it at the daycare the other day and it does not have any information about replacing it on the chamber itself. They must have only fairly recently started marking the chambers themselves with this information. Definitely good to know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:15 pm 

Thanks for the info. My son is definitely due for a new one. I seem to remember that private insurance paid for part of it. Does anyone know if I need a doctor's note or "prescription" in order to submit the cost to the insurance company? This is for Ontario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:57 am 

KarenOASG wrote:
Nicole - you might want to check with an expert, but my understanding is that everyone - adult or child - should use a spacer such as the Aerochamber for inhaled steroids like Flovent because they deliver the medication more effectively.

Karen, I too remember reading this. Because it is so difficult for people to time the delivery of their meds to their inhalation, most people end up spraying the back of their throat instead of inhaling the medication into their lungs where it's needed. I just can't remember where I read this....maybe www.asthma.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:11 am 

Funny, I was just talking to a friend who has been prescribed a puffer for bronchitis and she complained that she felt like the medication was staying at the back of her throat too.

My daughters use the diskus inhalers for all their meds, so it's not an issue.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:54 pm 

Storm wrote:
Thanks for the info. My son is definitely due for a new one. I seem to remember that private insurance paid for part of it. Does anyone know if I need a doctor's note or "prescription" in order to submit the cost to the insurance company? This is for Ontario.

I think it varies by insurance company, but I know that when we bought my son's first aerochamber, we bought it over the counter and it wasn't covered by our insurance. When we bought our 2nd one, I had learned that it was covered my our insurance with a prescription (it was about $20 cheaper by prescription than over the counter too).

My friend just got an aerochamber for her daughter and it was covered by her insurance with just the store receipt, no prescription needed. We're both in Ontario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:22 pm 

Thanks for the info, Tara.