* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Oh do any you hold the child's nose when you give them their inhalers? My Husband saw that ....... He has a aerochamber, orange colored inhaler, and ventolin

If you use the aerochamber, it has a mask that goes over the mouth and nose. It works really well. I can't imagine trying to give the rescue puffer and holding dd's nose. Poor thing can't breathe at that time as it is!
From what I gather, the aerochamber keeps the medicine suspended in the air and allows the person to breathe it into their lungs. Without it the medicine is shot into their mouth with so much force that it basicaly sticks to the back of their throat.
Aerochambers aren't cheap but check your health plan they might be covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:57 pm 

Susan;
I also have asthma and I had a aerochamber. I hated the thing. I myself could not imange holding his nose while he screamed and recieved his medince. They came here as he was not breathing very well, he looked awful. Yes, it was over his mouth and nose. :( I just asked as my Hubby asked me to me to ask. He saw something on tv about it. I am on ventolin and pulimort for my asthma. I have a peak flow metre to measure my breathing and from that if need to go the Hospitial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

I wish dd was old enough for a peak flow meter. She's only 3 2/3 years old so we have to notice it or pick up from her signals. Not easy!
We have a rule that if one of us feels the need to go to the hospital, we go- no questions asked. Otherwise one person gets way too stressed and bitter. If it's nothing, all the better.
Dd had really bad asthma one time and her main signal that something was wrong was her asking to be carried. Well, 3 year olds want to be carried?
If dd was as bad as your Cody sounds, we would have taken her to the hospital. It's better to get it treated in the initial stages instead of waiting until it's full blown...less medicine too.
I hope he's feeling better. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:05 pm 

Susan
Cody is doing better with the air conditioner. Thank goodness. He has been to hospitial to many times to count in his life. He has pneumonia twice. He is really big for his age and is only 18 months old. He has had a areochamber for a long time. He is a big as his three year old sister. The other day he was really bad you could hear him breathing or should I say trying. He was given another dose of ventolin and then ate part of a sandwich not even a half a slice of bread. You learn to watch for the signs, and it is easier as I have had some really bad attacks. It was worse to watch him though. He even has a home nebulizer. When your dd is older I am sure you will a peak flow metre. I do not know when they give to children. Good question. :D