You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:45 am 
Site Admin

Last week our daughter was snorting a lot, had an itchy runny nose and we had been treating her with Aerius nightly to allow her to sleep through the night. I noticed that she was quite sweaty at night even though it's not been very warm and we do have central air.
I got to wondering if her asthma was getting worse. If she had a cold, I thought perhaps we should increase the Flovent (we had decreased it for the summer-the Dr wanted to stop it completely but historically that has led to an asthma episode). She does not wheeze when she has an episode.
I asked her the usual questions, does your chest hurt/feel tight? Is it hard to breathe? Does it feel like an elephant is sitting on your chest? (she thought that was a silly question).
Anyway I decided to give her 2 puffs of the "rescue puffer" solbutamol and see what happened. She told me that she felt much better! I wonder if her asthma creeps up on her and she doesn't notice how hard she's working to breathe or if it is just so normal for her that she doesn't think to tell us.
I am going to ask the allergist about a peak flow meter. We may have to see the respirologist again for that. Does anyone use this tool? I think it might be helpful for us to determine when her asthma is getting worse and if she is unable to notice her asthma getting worse, it would be helpful for her too.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:20 am 

I have asthma and I still don't think i am trouble when I am. I will use a peakflow meter and then say to my self oh its not just in my head I really am having trouble breathing. :shock:

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:16 am 

We don't use one, but I think it is a great idea, Susan.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm 

I think the situation is the same with our DD - I think he asthma onset can be gradual and she doesn't recognise it. By the time it is apparent to us, treatment should have begun already :( It's like my dilemma with "my tongue hurts" -- does it really or do you want an "out" from eating? We don't feel and experience what their bodies are telling them and by the time they manifest, whether allergies or asthma, it's worse than we'd wish.

I plan to start researching what is available here (GTA). Her asthma is cared for by the allergist but I'd really prefer to wiggle my way into a pediatric respirologist. Docs can be so touchy with turf and the community is so small that you just know toes get stepped on.

Let us know what you find out about peak flow meters. I am starting to think (or hope?) that DD is getting old enough to use one effectively.

Is the sweating at night an asthma related indication? DD almost always has, but I thought she was just warmer blooded than me, taking after dad (who is always hot). Dad is also asthmatic and I know I often notice he should use his rescue medication before he does...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is the sweating at night an asthma related indication? DD almost always has, but I thought she was just warmer blooded than me, taking after dad (who is always hot).

Yes, my husband is a hotty, too! :oops:
My family tend to lower our body temperature when sleeping but his increases, so, yes it is possible that she just comes by this naturally.
When her asthma is flaring up she does sweat a lot at night. It's because she is working so hard at breathing.
So, again it's hard to always be sure.

Life is so vague when it comes to asthma and allergies. Nothing is precise it's always might be safe, may contain, kind of hard to breathe... :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:13 pm 

My half-brother is the same way. My dad is in total denial that he has a problem and tells me he just has 'episodes' once in awhile when he isn't feeling well and that I worry too much. Well, I have asthma too and I know what it sounds like! There have been times when he was audibly wheezing and gasping and I would ask him if he thought he needed to take his inhaler, and he would say no! And he's 12, so he's old enough that I assumed he would know. But I think he just doesn't know what 'normal' is for breathing because he is so used to struggling with it. He has had three hospital treatments in the past year that I know of, and I have never had any hospital treatments, so I think his asthma could be controlled better. But try convincing my dad! It has gotten to the point where I will not allow my brother to sleep overnight at my apartment anymore, because it terrifies me so much to lie there at night and listen to him.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:10 am 

Wow, ficbot - if you can find some "official" literature from the Lung Association or wherever, do you think that might help?

Maybe start with http://www.lung.ca/diseases-maladies/as ... ndex_e.php and go from there?

Your brother should be able to function perfectly normally with the correct medication. That is so sad that he is like that - and that your dad won't listen to you.

No one with asthma should experience poor quality of life like that, when there are medications that can help. :(

They could go to see a Certified Asthma Educator at the Lung Association - for free. Or you could even take your brother. If you are interested let me know and I will try to help you find someone in your area.

I always feel so sad and frustrated when I hear about children having problems with asthma because the adults who take care of them are not getting the proper information about asthma.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:59 pm 

My daughter is frequently sweaty at night also. I never thought that it might be caused by her breathing hard. Last night I had to sleep with her. We are renovating her room and we had a mommy - daughter sleepover. There was little sleep though. She was awake frequently and really restless. I hope she does not sleep like this often. I am concerned about her having nighttime asthma symptoms also. She has been up at night for many months now. She is on Reactine now for seasonal allergies, Nasonex and flovent so it is hard to imagine that these wouldn't be helping her. But I still wonder... She is 6 now. I wonder if she could use a peak flow meter. Asthma is so hard to manage when the symptoms are not obvious and a young child can't describe symptoms well.