You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:28 am 

My asthma is generally very well controlled, but I get really congested when I am sick. I have come down with a cold and have called in sick tomorrow at work, but it is going to be a hard night. I can't breathe properly right now, and the asthma puffers don't work when I am sick. In fact, that is usually the first sign that it is 'being sick' and not 'having allergy problems.' I had thought it might be allergy problems from some flowers my dad brought over, but when the blue puffer didn't work on it, I realized it was the beginnings of a cold. I know a cold is not deadly, but it is always a bit unnerving when you can't breathe properly and nothing will clear it up :( If it was allergies, the blue inhaler would clear it up right away. Suggestions?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:35 am 
Site Admin

The blue puffer is a bronchodilator it's a rescue puffer and works at reducing the effects of the trigger. If your asthma is well controlled you might only need to take it 3x weekly (often before exposure to your trigger to lessen it's effects).

It is not an anti-histamine. It does not halt an allergic reaction as epinephrene will.

The orange (sometimes red) puffer is a corticosteriod it's referred to as the preventer or controller puffer. This is the one that needs to be taken daily whether so feel sick or not. This is the one that actually prevents you from having a reaction. It works by reducing the swelling and mucus build-up in your lungs and bronchial tubes.

It's effects are not felt immediately. I have found that it works best if we start to increase the dose (# puffs) at the start of a cold/asthma attack as it takes a week or two to really feel the effects of the increase. (Do not change your mediacl regime without first discussing it with your Dr).

If you have asthma medication, you really should have an asthma action plan that clearly describes your medical regime when you are well controlled (symptom free); your dosage when you start to feel symptoms (be it from allergies, a bad cold or a full blown attack) and what to do when theings get worse.

Asthma does kill. According to the Canadian Lung Association it was the cause of death in 287 individuals in Canada in 2003.

Their website has loads of information on asthma and it's treatment. You can print off an Asthma Action Plan and you can call to speak to a Certified Asthma Educator.

http://www.lung.ca/about-propos/provinc ... ales_e.php

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:56 am 
Site Admin

I've moved this thread to the Environmental Allergies and Asthma board.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb