You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Anyone using Advair?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:18 pm 

I hope I spelled that correctly. My husband has had a bad cough since Christmas. He was on flovent and another rescue puffer (I forget the name of it) . Anyways, 2 weeks ago he returned to the doctor since he was not improving. He was given advair and he improved a great deal almost within a day. He said that he could feel his lungs opening so much more with it and it gave him great relief. It also has a dose counter right on it.

My daughter right now has the flu and is very sick. Her cough was improving on her blue puffer every 4 hours and a bumped up dose of flovent. Yesterday she was breathing really well and her fever was gone. She was even sleeping through the night. But last night and today her cough has returned and is worse than before.

I am wondering whether she can use advair. Perhaps it might give her more relief. I will have to do some more research on it to find out how it works differently from flovent but any personal feedback would help!

It is so distressing to see her so sick and miss school all week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:19 pm 

Sorry, we are not. My youngest just switched from Flovent as his daily medication to Alvesco, and he still uses Ventolin for emergency use.

Can you call your daughter's doctor or allergist to get them to provide some input?

There is some info at About.com: Pediatrics.

You may have already found that.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:48 pm 

Thanks Karen,
Getting into our family doctor is hard on short notice. We went to a walk in clinic and wouldn't you know - she barely coughed the whole time we were there. Now since we got home she is coughing regularly again. He gave us a prescription for Advair but I am going to read more about it before I fill it. How is the asthma med working for your son?
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:31 am 

He is doing okay, I think. The sample we got was for 200 mcg and then the prescription was for 100 mcg - and he didn't seem to do so well on that. So we got the prescription changed to 200 mcg. Of course, since then, it's been cold season, and he's had a few colds. But he seems to be doing okay.

The good thing about Alvesco (according to my allergist) is that it directly targets the lungs, rather than being a systemic drug (going throughout the whole body), like Flovent... I think this is why she wanted us to try it. But it's very expensive. About $85 a pump. :shock:

The Advair blurb at the site I linked to said this:
Quote:

Advair should be used when an inhaled corticosteroid alone, such as Flovent, Pulmicort, or Asmanex, doesn't control your child's asthma or when it is mild enough to be controlled with just the very occasional use Albuterol or Xopenex

So I would think it is worth trying, myself, especially since you now have a prescription.

K.