Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Asthma???
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:49 pm 

Hi there,

My little guy Zachary got prescribed inhalers (blue and orange ones not sure names) recently as he was suffering from a slight cold that was making it really hard for him to breath, lots of wheezing and coughing, up a lot at night struggling. It was hard to see him having such trouble over simple things like just going up the stairs which usually he did fine, or just playing a little.

He's better now and off the puffers, but I'm concerned that this might be the start of asthma, as the Dr's said he's been doing the allergic march since he was a newborn wtih the severe eczema, then severe allergies and supposedly a lot of times asthma follows. Anyways, I'm just curious to hear of others experiences with this. I'm hoping this is a one time thing with this last cold, but I know it might be something he'll have to face again. He's only 20 months old.

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,

Jodi :)
Zachary's Mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:41 pm 

My 22 month old son also had severe eczema at 4 weeks which went away when I stopped drinking milk (I was nursing). Through allergy tests we found he was allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts. He also has to use puffers when he is sick because of the wheezing and coughing. I'm just glad that it's only while he is sick (which seems to be all the time though) but the allergist told us he has a 75% chance of developing asthma so it's something we keep an eye on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:28 pm 

When my son Louis was a baby he had asthma and eczema and would get emphatigo (typo) as well. It was so bad at times he would fall out and in the ER they would give him shots to get him going right. His little heart was going so fast.

As he got older, in his later teens early 20's he out grew it. Which I am grateful. For now he is disabled from a car accident 4 years ago. So hopefully all babies grow out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:41 pm 

My daughter started with severe eczema as an infant, triggered by undiagnosed allergies. Took out the allergens and the eczema got MUCH better. It is still there, but primarily allergy driven. She also developed asthma and has an inhaler that we use mostly when she gets a respiratory infection, or when her allergen exposure is high, or after we swim at an indoor pool. She started with pneumonia, twice, and finally developed a persistent cough at night only. The official diagnosis of asthma came at 4 years old. The inhaler helped get it under control, and now we rarely need it. Our doctor jokingly refers to it as the allergy trinity: allergies, eczema and asthma. You might ask your doctor about Singulair, it helps with asthma and allergies. It worked great for our daughter. I did take her off of it though, because it causes her anxiety levels to go through the roof. Apparently that is one of the rare side effects.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:22 am 
Site Admin

Just want to mention that you never outgrow asthma.

Our support group had a Certified Asthma Educator come and give a [resentation and this was one of her points. As your lungs develop you can increase your lung capacity and you can get your symptoms under control but you will always have asthma.

I truly feel that everyone should speak with a Certified Asthma Educator. I learned so much from her presentation. To have a whole hour of explaination with visual aids and the opportunity to ask questions or hear others phrase my worries into questions...this was so much more informative than having an allergist give the basics as part of an appointment.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb