You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Asthma Triggers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:46 am 

I'm currently reading the Complete Kid's Allergy and Asthma Guide and have a question about asthma triggers. I don't have an appointment with the allergist until February so I thought I'd ask here in the mean time.

It says that asthma can be triggered from allergies or irritants....can you be not allergic to something but that something can be an irritant that triggers asthma? Example, my daughter was tested for dust but was not allergic to it.....could it still trigger asthma? Don't know if this is a stupid question or not.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:17 am 

My understanding is that all asthma is not necessarily allergic asthma---some people with asthma just have really reactive airways and so particulate matter can cause inflammation. On the dust question--I don't know. It kind of sounds to me that your daughter might be allergic to dust. I know for the food scratch tests the results can be negative even if the person is actually allergic. I've heard that tests for environmental allergies are more accurate (has anyone else heard this?) Most people who are allergic to dust are actually allergic to dust mite droppings.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:13 am 

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to decipher why my daughter constantly has a stuffed nose, post-nasal drip, throat clearing. I have it constantly but I know why...I'm allergic to everything. Hers came up saying she was allergic to grass, weeds, ragweed and cats....negative on dogs, dust and trees. Well, we don't have any pets, we keep the windows closed 365 days of the year. I believe all the pollen issues are done for the year. Just trying to figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

Pollen may be gone, but with all those leaves on the ground and the wet weather we've had you are now deaing with mold problems.
Is she worse on windy days? Worse outside or in?
We find that our daughter is bad in the spring and fall.
Good luck.