You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: air quality
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:20 pm 

So last year we were in BC and there was a bit of smoke in the air from a bush fire. It was not real close but I could still feel it in my lungs. I did spend a day mostly indoors. A thought came to me that my friend (who also has asthma) told me. She said to me that when you are in "bad air" you should wail until you can be away from this air to "good air" to take your rescue inhaler. Her point being you are opening up your air ways only to let more of this bad air in. Just seeing the fires that are happening down in Kelowna made me think of this as we are due to be very close to there in Aug. I am sure it will all be tended to by then but I still wondered about when to take the inhaler. Do you delay or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, good question for the asthma educator (I've sent them an e-mail) but meanwhile, I'd have to ask, how long until you got to a better quality of air?

Lack of oxygen for much time would put a strain on your body and cause other problems. I can see the point to not wanting to introduce the trigger to more of the airway but not dealing with the reaction is only going to exacerbate the condition.

I'd rather start both rescue and controller meds as you just know that you're going to need more of the controller medication to counter irritation.

Just my opinion.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Dear Susan:

As an asthmatic, you are very susceptible to the adverse health effects of bad air. You don’t have to smell it or see these pollutants in order to say that it is bad air day. If you are feeling tight on your chest or coughing then you can take your medications to relieve your symptoms but what is important is to take your inhaled corticosteroid regularly. Also, there are way that you can protect yourself by: Limiting your activity outside, avoid exercising outdoors during bad air day, control your symptoms by taking your medications properly, as much as possible stay indoor but making sure that you limit indoor sources of pollutants as well.

As far as your inhaler is concerned, your symptoms may get worse during the bush fire and therefore will require you taking your medications and as long as your asthma is well controlled then you limit the health effects from air pollution. Let me know if you any other questions and I hope I answer your question.

Thank you.

Menn

Menn Biagtan, MD, MPH

Program Manager

British Columbia Lung Association

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:26 pm 

Thank you Susan for that information. The conversation with my friend was in regards to smoke in a house. (I would just leave). Last year with the brush fire issue (though it was far) my family and I were going to go for a hike and I just found a walk from the car to the cottage was enough to bother me. Needless to say we went on our hike on another day when the air quality was improved. Even if my children don't suffer from asthma I still don't want them to be in that smokey air. It just got me to thinking about the inhaler issue. I did use it when I got inside. Nothing wrong with staying inside and putting feet up with a good book (or allergy magazine) when on vacation. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:04 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, you should see me chasing my daughter around the camp fire to keep her away from the smoke!