You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Peak Flow Meter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:41 pm 

Does anybody use one and do you find it helpful?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

We don't use one. Our daughter is only 4 years old. I think that it woud be helpful in determining when t increase the controller medication. Right now she realy doesn't offer much info (I think she's embarassed by her asthma something I never get about her allergies). I have to question her about her breathing or visuay see the skin suck in with each breath. She is not a wheezer and goes downhill pretty fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:36 pm 

There is a post under "MOULD" that you would find interesting. My husband has asthma (so far, kids don't), but he is an adult and can usually judge how he is feeling...when it is a child it is hard for them to tell you. I've heard of them elsewhere too (wish I could find the link) and they are suppost to be really helpful in taking the guesswork out of how a child is feeling. I'll post the other info I saw if I can find it ( not on this forum).

Post subject: Peak Flow Metre
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:15 pm 

I use a Peak Flow Metre. I am ussually pretty good in my normal range of breathing. My Allergiest told me what it is suppose to be for me, then if it drops to a certain number I am to go to the Hosp. I am suppose to do it daily, but rarely do......

Ussually I will get a asthma cough and that is indication that my asthma is acting up. Sometimes I will act differently and not cough at all. These are bad attacks, and I have almost passed out during these attacks.

Also if mine drops alittle I can up my pulimort as I do in the summer and this helps. Like if I have a cold.

I was given a website from a friend and looked at it. For young children there is a whistle they can use. The store is to Ottawa.
Hope this can help

http://www.theallergyshop.ca/

Kelly