You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:32 pm 

DS1 has finally got his appointment at the asthma clinic next week. They mentioned that they would be doing a breathing test, even though he is not quite 5 years old. I would really like to prepare him so that we don't have a meltdown when we go to do the test, so what is going to happen? Do they hook him up to anything or does he just breathe into a tube? What will the test tell us and what if it comes out normal, what does it mean?

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:38 am 

We had a 'surprise' one at the allergist appt last year. DS had to blow into a tube (while watching the monitor and trying to blow out candles on the cake, or blow a bowling ball down the lane), I think you have to exhale for a full 7 (?) seconds for the test to be complete, and he couldn't do it. They did get some readings, but incomplete.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:02 pm 

My son has had a few - at his allergists' office they had a clear glass "box" that they put him in, where the equipment was. The RT sat on the outside at the computer. They put a nose clip on him so that nasal breathing doesn't interfere with the readings. (He got to keep it after - thought they were pretty cool). He had to breathe into the tube, and got to watch his results on the monitor. The hardest part is getting them to completely empty their lungs ... it's not easy to do for anyone!

A different allergist used a much simpler, portable table-top device. I think it was more useful for basic screening.

Since it's at the asthma clinic I'm guessing it'll be more like the 1st scenario - but my son didn't find it scary at all, he thought it was pretty cool.

One possibility to prepare him .. if he's a hockey fan, I'm sure you could find a photo online of some of the pro athletes having their testing done - they sit in the glass box too, sometimes on a bike or treadmill. Then he might think it's pretty cool too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:34 pm 

Thanks for the replies! They definitely helped when I had something to tell my son! Momtobunches, it was similar to the second scenario, it was a table top device and he just had to breathe normally with his nose pinched and holding his cheeks. They did the test 4 times for about 10 or 15 seconds each time. The doctor made it sound like it was more for screening since he is too young to have the other breathing test.

I must say that I came out relieved. The doctor reassured me that I did the right thing bringing him there, despite the resistance in getting a referral originally and being told by a nurse elsewhwere that he didn't need to go since his asthma was mild. They also told me to get a referral for my younger boy (now 2) since he's had 2 episodes of wheezing and trouble breathing. They also reassured me that I'm doing everything that I should and can do, thanks to Momtobunches, Susan and anyone else that has passed on their knowledge!

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 am 

Quote:
The doctor reassured me that I did the right thing bringing him there, despite the resistance in getting a referral originally and being told by a nurse elsewhwere that he didn't need to go since his asthma was mild.

Glad it went well Hiebs. Trust those mommy instincts. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish