You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:36 pm 

Hi all,

What do you know about humidifiers? We have asthma in the house (plus anaphylacic food allergies) and are wondering if we should get a cold air, or a warm air humidifier. (The house is *very* dry, and our furnace-humidifier doesn't seem to cut it).

Thanks, and enjoy your day.

Supi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:11 pm 

We have a cold mist one, which we have not used for years. The trouble is, mold can grow on the filter, and be blown into the air...bad news if you have environmental allergies. Warm mist ones promote mold growth more. If you do go with a cold mist one make sure to clean/change the filter regularily.

I purchased a "deep cleaner" for my carpets/upholstery. It heats the water used to 88 degrees F as well. I used this weekend on some of my carpets, and one couch/loveseat set. As a bonus to the clean carpets, and couches the evaporating/drying process gave a humidity boost to the air in the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

We have a cold mist humidifier. I also do things such as open the door to the dishwasher and let the dishes air dry. The moisture gfoes back into the house.
We eat so much pasta and soups in the winter that we always have lots of humidity in the house. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:29 am 

They are both effective in the increasing of humidity in a room. Mostly, people will tell you to use cool mist(including my doctor) because of safety. But like saskmommyof2 mentioned, you have to clean it out regularly(preferably after every use) to prevent bacteria from growing because you don't want to spread germs into the air. On the other hand, the advantage of using a warm mist humidifier is that it boils the water so the bacteria are killed before water is send out by steam. However, it could be very dangerous if you have kids at home as your child may get burnt if it tips over.

Here's a link to Health Canada regarding this issue:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/prod/humid_e.html

If you are concern of your asthma, have you thought of using air purifier instead? I have asthma myself(to my cat), never considered using a humidifier because it doesn't clean out the air. My main trigger is my cat's saliva being airborne in my bedroom. So I've always used a good quality air purifier with HEPA filter. The best I find is the one from Sharp(Plasmacluster Ion). It is actually endorsed by the Asthma society of Canada and it's the best one for me so far. Quite pricy I have to say, but I haven't had an attack since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:05 am 

A good solution against asthma problems is using a de-humidifier that includes air ionization. The air ionizer should generate balanced positive and negative ions to avoid damaging the ozone layer. Ions have proven beneficial to fighting against allergens that contribute to asthma.

polaris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:29 am 

My doctor has recomdended for me to use a humidifier when my asthma's acting up. When we told him we had some warm mist humidifiers he kind of cringed and said they'll work in a pinch, but the cool mist are better and more hygenic. I mean warm stable water hello bacteria growth. I was a teenager at the time so he was well aware that it was probably a hassle to clean up my room let alone change the water in my humidifer on a regular basis.

So keep that in mind when you're chosing your humdifier who is going to be responsible for the care of the machine?