You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: cross contamination!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:04 pm 

Well, I found a whole (dried) kidney bean in my NuPack barley. I guess that counts as cross contamination!

In the past: I found what looked like a lentil in my flaxseed (Bob's red Mill). They process tree nuts on the same line I discovered . . . I started reacting to flaxseed (itchy throat + sometimes hives). I do think it is probably from the seed rather than from cross contamination but one never knows!

Another time I found what looked like a wheat groat in my rice cereal (Oak Manor---they did have a label though indicating that it was processed in a facility with wheat but promising that they clean equipment thoroughly.) I was sad about that one--I really like that company. (they sell organic grains--I buy their millet. Might not be a good idea if I am diagnosed with celiac)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:59 pm 

Helen,

After reading your post, I phoned NuPak, because I was about to use some of their barley. I was very pleased with the information I was given, and the fellow seemed very knowledgeable. I am only checking about cross-contamination for nuts, mind you, so for a person allergic to legumes this company may not be good for them. He told me they have no nut products where they package the barley, split peas etc. He said they will also label for the possibility of cross contamination. I guess since kidney beans aren't one of the bigger allergens, they probably don't label for that. Thank you for posting about your experience, it's good for us to keep on top of things with phoning companies etc.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:11 pm 

soccermom,

thanks for calling nupack! It is good to hear that nuts aren't an issue. As of this afternoon, I'm swearing off gluten-containing grains (like barley) for life, but one of my sisters sometimes eats barley at my mom's, and she buys nupack. (I'll post about the decision to go gluten free in the celiac disease section.)