You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: noodles
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:19 pm 

Has anyone noticed when you buy something like cup of soup or lipton noodles that it just lists "noodles" as one of the ingriedients but doesn't actually specify whats in the noodles? I phoned Lipton to ask if there was egg in the noodles and they said if it wasn't on the label it wasn't in the product. I'm surprised at how vague that was. I wish companies made lists of their products that didn't have this or didn't have that, but of course they would be making lists up the yazoo LOL
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:37 pm 

We live in the computer age. They don't have to make lists - they can have everything at their fingertips. Many companies will not only tell you what is in a particular product, but what else runs on the same line. (Those pesky may contains.)

I'm surprised Lipton wasn't more prepared to explain things to you. I was pretty sure I saw a *may contain* listed on some of their cup-a-soups. (I can't check because my husband bought them to take to work with him, so they aren't here any more.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:29 pm 

LOL My husband has done that a few times too. So the "may contain" portion of the label covers that aspect then? Good... Maybe I got a new girl LOL Campbells was much more informative... and for some reason they sent me coupons! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:48 pm 

Robin, I don't know what the label said it *may contain*. I can't remember.

Maybe you should try calling them again. Sometimes asking the same thing in a different way gets you an appropriate answer. (Does that make sense?)

Specifically ask: Does your company put *may contain* warnings for products that may have come in contact with eggs. What are the ingredients of the noodles in XXXX.

If the person really doesn't seem to want to answer you - ask for the supervisor. (Honestly, I've never had to do that.)

Post subject: labelling
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:18 pm 

I have found that labelling, in general, is very inconsistent and there are many products that don't label the ingredients of ingredients. I always read the labels myself looking for this (and often get my hubby to double check for me) before eating things. I had many reactions before I properly understood this--for example, seasoning salt may have vegetable oil as an ingredient.

Something else I have found out the hard way is that dried fruit, for example raisins and cranberries, use vegetable oil during processing so the fruit doesn't stick together. But this is not on the label anywhere (and you can't always tell by looking at the fruit). Companies that I have called (including Sunmaid) say that they are not required to label the oil used in the processing of the product because it is not an "ingredient" per se.
Definitely confusing to me.
Now I have my own dehydrator and I dry my own fruit :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:46 am 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in the Government of Canada website on labelling, that an ingredient does not have to be mentioned if it makes up less than a certain percentage of the finished product. :shock:
I'm going to try to wade through the website again and when I find the reference, I'll post it on the board.
I try to e-mail companies and clearly outline "A member of my family has a potentially fatal allergy (anaphylaxis) to XYZ and I am inquiring as to whether or not the caramel/natural favouring etc. listed as an ingredient in --- with the UPC 123
contains any component of XYZ."
I like to think that they'll be careful if they have to put it in writing. I can't be sure of who is manning the 1-800 telephone.

Post subject: Lipton soup
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:47 am 

I called Lipton today regarding their Lipton Chicken Noodle soup. (It's a package that includes 2 pouches of dry soup mix, each pouch makes 4 bowls of soup.)
I called because, as noted previously in this thread, the ingredients list includes "noodles" but doesn't say what the noodles are made from. My son's daycare asked me if I am familiar with Lipton because they have 2 children who are egg-allergic.

The telephone rep was helpful, she said the noodles are made from durum semolina, she told me that means wheat, and she specifically told me the noodles do not contain egg (even though I hadn't asked about egg - they must get this question often).

She also said that Lipton does use "may contain" labelling for the top-10 allergens.
The box of soup I have in hand does say "may contain traces of milk ingredients".

I was very happy with the response and the service, however after I hung up I realized that for those with wheat allergy, the labelling may not be appropriate. The label does not specifically state that the noodles are made from wheat. Further down the ingredient list is labelled "hydrolyzed soy/corn/wheat gluten protein". Is this sufficient labelling for those who are allergic to wheat?