You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Coconut
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:24 am 

Does any one with allergys to peanuts and tree nuts have allergy also to 'coconut'.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:47 am 

raises hand

Post subject: no
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:30 am 

I am only TN, but anaphylactic, am fine with coconut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:02 am 
Site Admin

Coconut is not a tree nut. We've had a definitive answer on that from Dr. Wade Watson in "Ask the Allergists". Coconut is a big seed, in a giant husk so that it can survive being waterborne.

Of course, you could still have an allergy to coconut (not terribly common) but, according to the experts, this wouldn't be related to your tree nut allergy as such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:59 am 

I have a 7yo ds that is anaphylactic to most tree nuts and we have just found out he has coconut allergies. I'm having a hard time finding information on labelling and what to look for. Can anyone give me some help on that??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:27 pm 

Do you live in Canada or the US?

In the US, the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) of 2004 considers coconut to be a tree nut, so there should be clear labelling for it (once all the old packaging is used up and all the new packaging has the correct allergen labelling on it).

From Questions and Answers Regarding Food Allergens, including the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (Edition 4):

5. Does FALCPA provide any specific direction for declaring the presence of ingredients from the three food groups that are designated as "major food allergens (i.e., tree nuts, fish, and Crustacean shellfish?")

Yes. FALCPA requires that in the case of tree nuts, the specific type of nut must be declared (e.g., almonds, pecans, or walnuts). The species must be declared for fish (e.g., bass, flounder, or cod) and Crustacean shellfish (crab, lobster, or shrimp).

25. [Added October, 2006] Section 201(qq) of the Act defines the term "major food allergen" to include "tree nuts." In addition to the three examples provided in section 201(qq) (almonds, pecans, and walnuts), what nuts are considered "tree nuts?"

The following are considered "tree nuts" for purposes of section 201(qq). The name listed as "common or usual name" should be used to declare the specific type of nut as required by section 403(w)(2).

Common or usual name = Scientific name
Almond = Prunus dulcis (Rosaceae)
Beech nut = Fagus spp. (Fagaceae)
Brazil nut = Bertholletia excelsa (Lecythidaceae)
Butternut = Juglans cinerea (Juglandaceae)
Cashew = Anacardium occidentale (Anacardiaceae)
Chestnut (Chinese, American, European, Seguin) = Castanea spp. (Fagaceae)
Chinquapin = Castanea pumila (Fagaceae)
Coconut = Cocos nucifera L. (Arecaceae (alt. Palmae))
Filbert/hazelnut = Corylus spp. (Betulaceae)
Ginko nut = Ginkgo biloba L. (Ginkgoaceae)
Hickory nut = Carya spp. (Juglandaceae)
Lichee nut = Litchi chinensis Sonn. (Sapindaceae)
Macadamia nut/Bush nut = Macadamia spp. (Proteaceae)
Pecan = Carya illinoensis (Juglandaceae)
Pine nut/Pinon nut = Pinus spp. (Pineaceae)
Pili nut = Canarium ovatum Engl. in A. DC. (Burseraceae)
Pistachio = Pistacia vera L. (Anacardiaceae)
Sheanut = Vitellaria paradoxa C.F. Gaertn. (Sapotaceae)
Walnut ( English, Persian, Black, Japanese, California), Heartnut, Butternut = Juglans spp. (Juglandaceae)

(Note: The original form of this list was a table - I used the equal sign to replace that formatting).

========================
From what I have been told, the CFIA does not intend to include coconut as a tree nut if and when the Canadian clear labelling laws are put into effect...

So for foods made and labelled Canada, it's less clear. I have no idea whether Canadian manufacturers would take any guidance from FALCPA. If a product is made in Canada and distributed in both Canada and the US, you might catch a break because presumably the manufacturer would have to follow FALCPA and clearly label for coconut.

If a product is made in Canada and only distributed in Canada, you might be out of luck for coconut being clearly labelled on the package.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:56 pm 

I'm in Ontario - it's Frustrating trying to deal with this allergy - I just got things settled and was excited b/c he could finally eat dairy, eggs, peanuts and beef again since they all tested negative with both the skin and RAST and challenge and knew the tree nuts were easy to deal with then the coconut allergy shows up. I'm finding coconut in some form seems to be in most foods and also found in some things you would never expect to find it in!

Do we need to avoid palm oils as well?? I didn't think to ask the allergist b/c I was so shocked that so many new 'nuts' and tree nuts showed up this time (even though I know coconut is not a nut) And we don't go back for 2 years this time on my request unless things get out of control!

He has had an accidental exposure and it caused him to feel crummy and vomit for 36 hrs after but I'd rather avoid that!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:07 pm 

I've been googling and found a few things:

http://www.allergy.org.au/aer/infobulle ... llergy.pdf - explains the concept of cross-reactivity with regard to coconut and tree nuts, which might help explain some things

http://www.nutrition4health.org/NOHAnew ... llergy.htm - "Coconut is not related to cacao (source of chocolate, cocoa, and cola), but coconut, sago palm, and date palm are all in the same biological family."

http://www.montosogardens.com/arecaceae.htm - lists all the members of the Arecaceae (palm family).

So, they are related (which I didn't realize - obviously you did!), but I would not take that to mean you have to avoid palm. I would call the allergist and ask his/her opinion. I think you have a right to know if you need to worry about palm or not.

I was not able to find any mention of cross-reactivity with regards to palm and coconut. It seems to be more with tree nuts and coconut that you find that issue.

So many questions. I really sympathize.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:27 pm 

Coconut is cross reactive with hazelnut. See: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/a ... 2/art00018

I've just discovered that I'm allergic to coconut myself. I hadn't had coconut for awhile and this past fall started getting hives . . . I really can't remember if I had throat itchiness or not. Maybe. I brought the issue up with my allergist . . I had a negative skin prick test, but had a positive RAST (class III). I doubt I'd react severely to coconut, but I'm avoiding it now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:11 pm 

I'm allergic to coconut but only if I have a lot - so my Oreo intake is limited to 4 cookies per sitting :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:42 pm 

One person in my family is like that--she found out that she was allergic to coconut when she bought a fresh coconut and ate quite a lot in one sitting. But she seems to be okay with smaller amounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:05 am 

I sent an e-mail off to Enjoy Life Natural Brands, to find out for sure if their products were coconut free the reply was

"The FDA recently classified coconut as a tree nut and we immediately removed it from our products and facility."

I was always of the understanding that coconut was from the fruit family. :shock:
Very pleased with their answer, but now I wonder If this is also the case in Canada?
I seem to find food items with out peanuts even tree nuts I usually find I cannot eat the item I covet due to coconut!
Does anyone know how Canada classifies coconut now??
With our labels changing I just wonder where coconuts fit in??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:10 am 

My daughter is allergic to coconut but can have coconut or palm oils. Many of her fruit allergies are okay when highly processed but not raw or even cooked at home.

She is anaphylactic to tree nuts - hazlenut as number 1 but also macadamia, almond, cashew etc and allergic to peanuts (only reaqctions were itching in her mouth).

I did call her allergist and was told that with her particular allergies she could eat the oils which was a relief because coconut oil is in many things.