You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:33 pm 

Be aware that the outside packaging of the individual servings of Danissimo creamy yogurts produced by Danone does not mention in the ingredients that it may contain nuts and peanuts but the tubs have the warning in red type. This is not obvious when you are buying the product but is semi-obvious when you look at the tub.
We just noticed this on a package we brought home and it may not be the same case everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Have you called to inquire?

Sometimes a product that has a may contain caution on its' label is produced or packaged on a line that also produces or packages the allergen. if this product is in a different packaging, it may have been produced on a different line and it might not have come near the allergen hence no cautionary label.

I agree to err on the side of caution but it might be worth a phone call.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:12 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Have you called to inquire?

Sometimes a product that has a may contain caution on its' label is produced or packaged on a line that also produces or packages the allergen. if this product is in a different packaging, it may have been produced on a different line and it might not have come near the allergen hence no cautionary label.

I agree to err on the side of caution but it might be worth a phone call.

I am on the phone with them, they say to trust the lableing on the tub and not on the cardboard packaging outside. They took my information because iIwant to know why they do not mention the allergens on all packaging. I will be receiving a call on Monday.

They will also be sending me some coupons for my next Danone purchase! yay :roll: .

I'll update this post when i learn more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

Groan said, "they say to trust the lableing on the tub and not on the cardboard packaging outside." :shock:

Apart from the fact that that's false advertising, I think that's pretty dangerous to only include the allergen information on the inner packaging. I would assume that people would read the label in the store and soem people might not read the inner label thinking that they've already read the label.

Please let us know the out come.

I'm surprised that there isn't a recall as the product isn't labelled correctly. Isn't that the point to label laws?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:11 am 

Well it seems they don't care enough to talk to me. I have not recieved a call back.
I may give them a couple more days and call back again.

Not impressed so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

You might want to notify the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
Quote:
If you believe a product presents a health and safety risk, you can report a potential food safety incident to the CFIA:
by contacting an area recall coordinator
through the Internet at cfiamaster@inspection.gc.ca
by telephone at 1-800-442-2342
If you suspect that your health has been compromised because of food, contact your family physician or local health authority who will follow-up with the appropriate treatment. You can report any concerns about restaurant food to your local inspection authority. If they determine that food appears to be the likely cause of illness, they will contact the CFIA to initiate an investigation.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/util/faqe.shtml