You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Near disaster averted!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:26 pm 

I popped into Safeway in Burnaby over the weekend for a loaf of bread.
I normally use Dempsters, but since I could not find the one I would normally buy, I picked up a Safeway Brand of Split Top Butter Crusted bread...pre-sliced, and packaged at their Calgary Depot.
I checked the ingridient listing and saw they use canola oil.
There was also a sign on their wrapper that stated Canola Oil.
There were no allergen listings at all......
I picked up the loaf and took it to the check out counter. My husband at the very last minute asked me if I had looked at the ingridient listing carefully, as this was not a bread I had previously purchased....We read the labelling together, only to discover that peanut oil was also listed!
Not sure how I missed that one!
I know I must have read the labelling twice!
Everything I have ever bought has allergen listing!
This one clearly did not!
And to have "canola oil" labelling on the packaging which is so decelving.
I was told by a colleague once whose son has peanut allergies that Safeway breads are safe.
This clearly proved that it wasn't.
I plan on writing to Safeway Canada and inquiring about this, and their lack of proper labelling.
Should CFIA be contacted as well re :poor labelling, and not having any warnings on their packaging?
Shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:47 pm 

Wow! That's very irresponsible from their part.

Just goes to show you we can't take anything for granted and read the label twice rather than once!

Good for you for catching that.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:23 pm 

It would be a really good idea to contact the CFIA, they are a really efficient organization, and it is the best way to get unsafe products dealt with. You can do it over the internet.

I contacted them afew weeks ago about Smickers hot chocolate, and they had an answer for me within a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:51 pm 

I'm a little confused. They had peanut oil on their labelling, right? So it was clearly labelled?

Can you explain why you felt it was irresponsible of the company? Maybe I'm just not reading your post correctly.

If it's because they made canola oil stand out (and didn't make peanut oil stand out) in their packaging, I suspect that they did this because canola oil is supposed to be healthy. It sounds to me like their focus was on that.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:13 am 
Site Admin

This is an example of why it is important too read the lable 3x.
we read the label:
1. When taking it from the store shelf.
2. When putting it away at home.
3. When opening it to serve.
You'd be surprised how much your brain can gloss over in a busy supermarket with a 5 year old in tow.
I'm glad you caught the peanut before you served it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:44 am 

The reasons I think it's irresponsible are: 1) They did emphasize the canola oil, so it leads you to think that this is the only oil they use, 2) In this day and age, when other companies are moving away from using peanut as an ingredient because of allergies, it is irresponsible to use peanut oil in bread, it is kind of an unusual, unexpected ingredient, I don't know of any other bread company that uses peanut oil and 3) they should have highlighted it as an allergen.

It is really, really not necessary to use peanut oil in anything anymore. In this case, it's probably a lack of awareness from their part. That's why it's important to write to companies such as this one, to bring the problem to their attention.

But then again, there are numerous products out there that ought to have a "May contain" warning and don't.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:54 pm 

I agree that this issue sounds like the marketing group wanted to take advantage of the healthy attributes of one ingredient in this case highlighting the presence of canola oil. Unfortunately this can be distracting and serves too emphasize the message that I have often heard is that despite such highlights, flashes, bullets, etc the allergic shopper is still best advised to check the ingredient list for their information.

You are correct that the best approach is to write to the company expressing your concern. CFIA may be able to record a complaint but it would be a matter of interpretation/opinion whether the labelling is truly misleading and deceptive when the required information appears eleswhere on the label.

Note that peanut oil, if highly refined and absent of any protein residues, is not regarded as an allergen. Unrefined or cold-pressed peanut oil which would contain protein residues would however be regarded as an allergen. Currently, it is a legal requirement under Section B.00.008(4) of the Food Regulations to declare the presence of any peanut oil in the list of ingredients on prepackaged foods.

Please refer to: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/alt_formats/hpfb-dgpsa/pdf/legislation/e_b-text-1.pdf (page 10 of 272 in the pdf)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:08 pm 

The one thing I would like to point out is that it is my understanding that patient advocacy groups and allergists recommend that those with a peanut allergy avoid all forms of peanut oil, whether they are cold pressed, warm pressed, or whatever.

The general thinking is that there is no way to truly guarantee that peanut proteins are not present, and it is just not worth the risk.

Just thought I should make that clear. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:23 pm 

This seems to be an issue over which there is some disagreement between experts dealing with food safety issues and allergists. I imagine it is a case of the latest research not getting out there--allergists are aware of it but other scientists are not. (My allergist would certainly not recommend me to consume refined peanut oil.) This has come up as an issue before on this forum---see

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188

More recently, I found an article in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology which explains that refined soy oil is not safe for all people with a soy allergy.

See:

http://allergyadvisor.com/hidden2.htm

Quote:
Although soybean oil was initially thought to be safe for soy-sensitive individuals,42 it is now evident that soy protein may occur in soybean oil.43 Thus the allergenicity of soybean oil would depend on its purity, which in turn depends on the extraction process. Recent evidence has demonstrated that although oxidized soybean oil may not show allergenicity, proteins in soybeans are capable of interacting with oxidized lipid to form products that are allergenic to soybean-sensitive patients.44 Indeed, Hiyama et al.45 report a case of urticaria associated with paren-teral nutrition with an intravenous 10% lipid emulsion containing a soybean oil base. Such reactions, however, appear to be uncommon, and there are very few reports of this nature in the literature.

I'm sure it is the same with peanut oil.

I'm raising this issue because I know that people have a tough time when getting Health Canada to listen to concerns about the allergenicity of refined corn oil . . . which is added to *all* milk in Canada. (I'm allergic to corn so I'm bitter about this!)

Last edited by Helen on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:51 pm 

There is corn oil in Canadian milk? In what form?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:52 pm 

Vitamin A and D are fat soluble so they need to add an oil of some sort. I guess corn oil is just the cheapest (seeing as corn grown in the US is majorly subsidized.)

I could hardly believe that organic milk would contain (potentially genetically modified) corn oil, so I emailed Harmony Organics. They affirmed that they do use corn oil but that they were trying to find an alternative--probably sunflower oil! That wouldn't have to be on the label either because refined oil is not considered to be allergenic and sunflower seeds like corn are not considered to be a major allergen. <sigh> I wish folks at Health Canada would talk directly to one of the experts in allergy and immunology on this one.