You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:52 pm 

We are a family in England and have a son who is allergic to peanuts, nuts, eggs, shellfish, sesame and other seeds. We are going on holiday in the summer in Calgary, mara lake and Vancouver. Can anyone recommend food manufacturers, and good resturants?

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:16 pm 

That's great that you will be visiting our lovely country! :)

As a starting point, see http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1648 for a discussion of 'good brands / bad brands'. Unfortunately there aren't many contributions, but at least it's a start.

Others who live in the area might have more specific info.

I will try to see if I can think of other things.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:55 pm 

Louise, Welcome to the forum, and it's nice to hear you'll be visiting Canada. Our 5 year old son has VERY similar allergies to your son (you can see the list in my signature at the bottom), so I can give you a list of safe list of foods we use. We live near Toronto, so I'm not sure if all foods will be available on the West coast, but I think they might be. We don't eat at restaurants, so I can't help you there. Will you have cooking facilities while you are visiting? If so, we've found we can safely buy fresh foods like milk, cheese, yogurt, fresh meats, fruit (with the exception of pineapple (our son is allergic to pineapple)) and vegetables (with the exception of peas (to which he is also allergic)).

breads, tortillas, crackers, dry pasta:
- Dempsters Enriched White bread (in a foil bag)
- Dempsters sandwich pouches (I've found these at Walmart and Longos (in Ontario)),
- Dimpflmeier rye bread (this is Toronto-based bakery with large distribution)
- Casa Mendosa Tortilla shells
- Pillsbury crescent rolls (refrigerator dough, bake at home)
- Premium Plus crackers
- Christie Sociable Crackers
- Christie Wheat Thins crackers
- Triscuits crackers
- Kraft Stoned Wheat Thins crackers
- Unico dry pastas (many pasta manufacturers use egg, but Unico is egg-free)

dry cereals
(we've found many safe cereals, but I've listed a few popular ones we like)
- Kelloggs Corn Flakes
- Kelloggs Rice Krispies
- Kelloggs Special K
- Quaker Life Brand

potato chips
- Humpty Dumpty (made with Canola oil, not sunflower oil (most potato chips are made with sunflower oil)
- Pringles potato chips (in the can)

cookies
- Christie Thinsations
- Oreos (chocolate wafer or vanilla - make sure you don't buy the ones with peanut butter!)
- Dad's oatmeal cookies
- Christie Ginger Thins (or Snaps - can't quite remember the name offhand)

candy:
- chocolate bars: Smarties, Aero, KitKat, Coffee Crisp
- hard candy: Lifesavers
- chewy candy: Betty Crocker fruit flavoured snacks
- Dare gummies and other candy

ice cream:
- Chapman's brand - all flavours

I hope this helps and you have a great trip!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:27 pm 

Cactus Club is a chain of restaurants - I don't know if there are any in Calgary, but there are in Vancouver (Broadway and Granville and maybe others, not sure - I live in Victoria) They are extremely sensitive to allergic individuals - it is our usual family dinner out destination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:35 pm 

Julie and Louise - just noticed Julie that you recommended Chapman's ice cream. Want to point out that not all Chapman's is "safe" - you have to look for the ice cream that is actually labelled "peanut and nut free" - kind of frightened me when I first saw the non-safe Chapman's, because my daughter buys the other kind all the time, and I didn't want her to make a mistake - I phoned her to let her know, and she was a bit surprised and glad I had noticed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:51 am 

When we were in Vancouver 3 years ago we have a very good experience with Milestone's restaurant. We went there for lunch and pretty much had figured the kids would only have a drink... but they managed to put together two safe meals for my kids - with the list of allergies they have below, plus wheat and barley for my youngest at that time. I was very impressed.

K.