You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

AL mag. mentioned the new food labelling rules quietly coming into effect in the Winter 08 magazine. See the story here: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=139

Some of you read that and asked when Health Canada would have its site page and the details up. HC is running behind, but the revised info is up at the Can. Food Inspection Agency.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... rgee.shtml

Haven't even had a chance to read myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Gwen for posting this.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:59 pm 

from the site: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... rgee.shtml

Quote:
When a pre-packaged food contains a priority food allergen or a protein-containing derivative of a priority food allergen, the name of the food allergen must be declared. If refined soy oil does not contain protein residue, it is not considered to be a risk to consumers with soy allergies. Therefore, the name of the allergen source is not required to be declared

Arggh. We had a discussion about this here: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... f7b3a40b44

How can Health Canada say that refined soy oil is safe when the studies don't agree and allergists are recommending that at least some soy allergic people avoid soy oil??? Don't they have to check with medical researchers who have reviewed all the literature? Wouldn't be good to err on the side of caution in this case???

My allergist gives out the same advice as Dr. Watson. (See the 2005 Spring AL mag . . .also see that link on that other page.)

Post subject: Wholesale vs. retail
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:52 pm 

Can anyone tell me what the rules are for restaurants that buy WHOLESALE goods. I was speaking to a chef today at a facility and he said that many products in the WHOLESALE world do not have labels nor do they have to ???

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cr ... _II?page=2
Quote:
PART I

HEALTH AND SAFETY

2.1 (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), no person shall market a food product in import, export or interprovincial trade as food unless the food product, including every substance used as a component or ingredient thereof,

(a) is not adulterated;

(b) is not contaminated;

(c) is sound, wholesome and edible;

(d) is prepared in a sanitary manner;

(e) where irradiated, is irradiated in accordance with Division 26 of Part B of the Food and Drug Regulations; and

(f) meets all other requirements of the Food and Drugs Act and the Food and Drug Regulations with respect to the food product.

I would take this to mean that it has to be properly labelled, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

With the gov't backing for the new regulations on labelling (aka the new label law), Health Canada has posted all the particulars.

See:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/label-etiq ... fo-eng.php

As well:
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2008/2 ... le1-e.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:18 pm 

I don't know where to post this question -- this seems an OK place. :?:

This new law which we sent letters to Harper about has not yet been put into effect. Is there any possibility that a new government could squash it without it ever actually happening?

I know Dion was talking about the CFIA -- specifically that Walkerton & listeriosa are a result of cuts to the CFIA. Do we need to fear that Dion might feel we (the allergic community) are an expense that he can cut?

I am not trying to cause a panic here -- I just want to know if it's a possibility. Because if it is, we need to contact the leaders of each party as well as whoever is running in our own ridings and find out how they will deal with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Such a good question AM, that I'd asked it myself of the Health Canada directorate that was instrumental in developing the new regs. :D

Good news, just got this reply from a senior officer:

Quote:
Gwen, Thank you for the question about the impact the
election could have on the allergen regulatory amendments.

.... The election does not affect the
consultation period at all. Once published in Canada Gazette part I, the
90-day period commences and is not impacted by the election. If the
publication had not happened yet, then we would not be able to publish in
Gazette I during the election campaign, but that is not the case for the
allergen regs.

Everything is moving forward as planned and on the same
schedule we have mentioned previously (90 day comment period ends October
24, 2008).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:18 pm 

Thank you for the information Gwen.

And thank you also for letting me know I'm not totally paranoid -- I wasn't the only one who thought this was a possible concern. (My sanity is still intact.....somewhat)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:30 am 
Site Admin

Re: the coment period. Who is making the comments? Will we get a chance to hear the comments? Can we make comments? I know I live in Ottawa but I knew nothing about law making until food allergies entered my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:13 pm 

Glad to hear the elections won't have an impact...it was a concern for me as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:49 pm 

When does this take effect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Another article about the proposed label law.
Quote:
Label reading is expected to become easier for Canadians. New regulations announced in July will require food manufacturers and importers to declare food allergens on ingredient lists. Tree nuts, peanuts, sesame seeds, wheat, eggs, milk, soy, shellfish, fish, sulphites - and their derivatives - will be disclosed as an ingredient or in a statement following the ingredient list. Manufacturers have one year to comply with these new labelling rules.

Under current regulations, food manufacturers must list ingredients that are added to a food. But a food allergen may remain unlisted if it's a component of an ingredient. Health Canada allows close to 50 ingredients - including flour, starches, butter and margarine - to be listed without mentioning the components. Under the new rules, ingredient components will be listed in the case of some food allergens such as whey (a milk protein added to margarine) and wheat (sometimes used to make modified food starch).

While waiting for labels to become more precise, the following strategies can help minimize the risk of an allergic reaction.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... columnists

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Anaphylaxis Canada issued a release with these points to ask candidates before the fed. election.

Suggested Candidate Questions

1. Food allergic consumers and those that shop for them must be able to make informed decisions when making food purchases. What steps will your party take to prioritize the needs of the food allergic and those who have life-threatening food allergies in all of your Food and Consumer Safety Programs?

2. The federal government introduced in July proposed regulatory changes that will benefit food allergic consumers and their communities. However, it is expected to take almost one year and a half for these regulatory changes to take affect. It is also not clear what funding support will be provided to ensure unnecessary allergic reactions and costly food recalls as these new regulations take affect.

a) Will your party commit to fast tracking implementation of the Amendments to the Food and Drug Regulations (1220 Enhanced Labelling for Food Allergen and Gluten Sources and Added Sulphites)?

b) Will your party direct the appropriate funding needed to support the proposed amendments, enforce the new regulations, and provide communication and implementation tools for the food allergic and intolerant communities as well as the food industry?

3. Clarity on food labelling is critical for food allergic individuals and those that shop for them. The use of precautionary statements on food labels such as may contain or free from (usually in reference to priority allergens such as nuts or seafood) is not standardized creating uncertainty for consumers. Will your party pursue the establishment of guidelines for the use of precautionary statements and free from claims by the food industry?