You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: labelling and travelling
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:47 pm 

Just got back from visiting the snowbirds (parents) in Tampa. Because they have a house, we purchased groceries and cooked at home when we were able. Wow, are packaging rules different. There were very few packages that even highlighted allergy awareness ingredients! I've gotten spoiled here not having to read ALL the ingredients on packages and just looking for the highlighted awareness - plus I think my eyesight is going as I found ingredients hard to read...ha, ha. We are very blessed here in Ontario regarding packaging and with the corporations that have peanut-free products clearly marked! I so wished for Dare cookies and Mars chocolate bars.
Funny enough, I lost my son's medic alert bracelet at the aquarium - I took it off him so he could pet the stingrays - ironically, he's allergic to shellfish...
Cheers,
Buzimom of 4 boys ages 14, 12, 11 no allergies - youngest age 6 PA, shellfish, eggs, environmental.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:53 pm 

Oh, I forgot to mention the waitress in Ontario "forgot" he was allergic...
Went to Applebees in Windsor - ordered a kids meal hamburger (after "grilling" the waitress about ingredients in menu items) and rice as side dish (stupidly expecting plain white rice) - he ended up with rice cooked with broccoli and almonds (with a kids meal!?!) What kid eats rice with broccoli?! Yuck!...So needless to say...good thing mom is observant...Little man was scared so he didn't eat his dinner - he ate his brother's quesedilla instead...the waitress didn't seem to have a clue...and was very unconcerned.
Boo to staff at Applebees Windsor...
Cheers,
Buzimom