You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Breyer's ice cream
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:24 pm 

When I visit relatives in the states, I always get Breyers vanilla ice cream--it's my absolute favourite. I don't buy it here because it says 'may contain nuts' on it. So today I called Breyers both in the States and in Canada....(there was no number listed on the Canadian website....so I called the number for the States....when I asked about their Canadian products, they gave me a local number. But when I called that number they transferred me back to the States because they handle customer relns there :? )

They process both types of ice cream in the same way.....both go through the same lines as nut-containing ice cream. The US company said that they are required by law to add the 'may contain' label in Canada because Canadian labelling laws are stricter. (I don't think that is the case, however, is it? 'may contains' *aren't* required by law, right?)

The customer service representative assured me that before processing a new batch of ice cream that they send sanitizer through the system and then rinse it with water. Plus they test the product afterwards. (I don't feel entirely confident on the last point because when I asked for details...she said like a pH test....then I asked...but do you do test specifically for nut protein....then she said that she was just saying that the tests are similar. :? :? )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:19 am 

We use Breyer's vanilla ice cream when in the States because there are no alternatives.
In Canada, we limit ourselves to Chapman's.

However, based on people at peanutallergy.com, lots of people feel comfortable with Breyers' vanilla ice cream. It's always run first thing after a deep washing of the lines. There are people on peanutallergy.com that are severely allergic (a trace will definitely get a reaction), and they feel comfortable with Breyer;s vanilla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:55 pm 

Thanks! I'll go ahead and get Breyer's, then--at least on my visit to the States. The customer service representative did say there had been no reported cases of reactions from nut contamination. I've never heard of that site before--I'll check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:58 pm 

Lisa, I also use Chapman's, but like Cleo said there are people at pa.com (including a Canadian) who trust Breyer's Vanilla.

You are correct laws in Canada do NOT require a *may contain* to be on the label.

When in the states is it specifically bricks of ice cream or vanilla that you want? There is an American company called Phillyswirl that is peanut/tree nut (and I think gluten) free. Listed on the label that way.

www.phillyswirl.com If you click on *products* the next page actually says "All our products are peanut/tree nut free.

Just thought I'd mention it in case on your next trip you want different ice-cream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:56 am 

Quote:
You are correct laws in Canada do NOT require a *may contain* to be on the label.

So basically, we could be eating something that MAY contain our allergen, end up in the hospital and not know why? Geez, that's reassuring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:25 am 

youngvader, there are many companies in Canada that have chosen to list *may contains* for either 8, 10, or 12 allergens. Do I trust these companies to do what they are voluntarily doing? Yes - because they have opened themselves up to law suits. By saying they test every run for certain allergens, and they get letters from their suppliers, etc., if someone has a reaction to their product, they are risking a MAJOR law suit, if they are not honest.

Nothing in life comes with a 100% guarantee. NOTHING. If I buy an apple and take a bite - how do I know - 100% know - that that particular apple didn't get put on top of the peanut bin by someone who changed their mind about buying it?

I look both ways before I cross the street - but does that give me a 100% guarantee that I'll never get hit by a car? No it doesn't. Sometimes the driver loses control and the car flies up on to the sidewalk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:42 am 

Of course, I agree with you. But it put things in perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:52 pm 

Thanks for the link to phillyswirl, AnnaMarie--I hadn't heard of that brand before. My favourite is vanilla, but I'll eat anything resembling ice cream if I can get it! I'll have to look for it the next time I spend some time in the States. And it's good to know that I wasn't completely confused about Canadian labelling laws. I went ahead and ate Breyer's vanilla this time around.

Speaking of ice cream, for a rare treat I simply beat whipping cream with my whisk (one gets a good workout this way--I don't own an electric mixer) add a bit of maple syrup and put it in the freezer. It tastes *really* good...although the consistency isn't exactly like ice cream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:58 pm 

Lisa, you DO know about Chapman's in Canada - don't you?

www.chapmans.ca

Regarding Phillyswirl - it is available in some places in Canada. Some of the big Walmarts with full grocery stores carry it (although I personally have not found it there), and the Price Club carries it seasonally.

If you check their website before heading down to the states, you can contact Alex and he can tell you where you can purchase it near where you're going. He is co-founder and co-owner of the company and answers e-mails himself. I've spoken to him on the phone before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:09 am 

Yes, I know about Chapman's---haven't bought it for awhile, though. I have an allergy to corn and while I don't seem to react to corn sugars (glucose and glucose-fructose can be from corn and do contain corn protein) I have been avoiding them anyways.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:05 am 

Lisa, I'll look up the ingredients on my the 3 containers of Chapman ice-cream I have at home tonight (3 different flavor) and I'll let you know. In fact, I'll type the ingredients out for you so you can make an informed decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:30 pm 

Lisa,
If I'm not mistaken, I saw some Chapman 'Natural' (or something like that) ice cream yesterday at the health food store... but it was milk, so I didn't have a second look, but I did notice the peanut free mark. So you could look into that one for all natural ingredients ;).

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:38 pm 

Thanks youngvader and mylene! that would be great if chapman's is starting a 'natural' line of ice cream.

mylene, by the way, after reading about your way of travelling i decided to try taking my own pots, pans, cutting board, knives...basically anything that doesn't go in the dishwasher...to my grandparents' when staying with them for a few days. my grandmother isn't so good with the cross contamination issue (she forgets + I don't think she fully understands) and her eyesight isn't the greatest anymore. My usual strategy is to watch her like a hawk in the kitchen under the pretense of 'helping out' or sending in undercover spies in the shape of other family members. cooking for myself worked out much, much better! although my grandmother really really wants to cook for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:18 pm 

That's good to hear! One of my grandma was close to being insulted that I took everything with me when I went there over the summer... but I would not have survived without that! I had to stand by the stove every second it was cooking as I would find her stiring my things if I turned around for a minute! At one point, she added a little butter to my chicken as she thought it was too dry!!!! Good thing I surprised her on that one! I took the chicken, packed it up as a leftover for her to eat later, cleaned everything and started fresh again! That's when she got the message... My first instinct would have been to throw it directly in the garbage out of frustration!!!! But I still had to remain polite... she's 86 and not used at all to allergies. My other grandma is used to allergies, so I still watch over her sholder, but she doesn't make a move without letting me know :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:56 pm 

i can relate---it is best if my grandmother isn't in the kitchen while i am cooking. i tried to cook in between mealtimes, and one afternoon my mother suggested that she and my grandmother should sit out in the backyard to 'enjoy the weather' (but really to give me some time alone in the kitchen.)

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.