You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:17 pm 

Just a little anecdote to remind all of us that we need to read the label each and every time, even on the things we buy all the time. My brother, ana to eggs, bought some Oh Henry bites for his little weekend getaway up north and usually he doesn't re-read things that he has had before (I've given him heck already don't worry!). Turns out his angels were looking out for him because something made him read the label and lo and behold, it had egg whites! Very very scary considering he was about to eat them without double checking the ingredients. I know most of us are in the habit but in case you were ever thinking, ah, I just bought this last week...things can change and unfortunately companies don't have to tell us they made a change!
Be safe, be well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:23 pm 

That is so true! I just posted this (I think) the other day, but there are some granola bars we get ALL the time for my non-allergic daughter and me by Kashi (the dark cherry chocolate) and I accidentally found online that they recently added almond ingredients and peanut ingredients! My other dd has bad contact reactions so I am SO glad that I stumbled upon that info because I don't always check....well, I didn't always check - now I do!

So tomorrow afternoon I am excited about spending 3 hours getting my 10 item grocery list! haha :-P

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:55 am 
Site Admin

We noticed last month that when picking up severl cans of spaghetti sauce (onsale) we inadvertently grabbed one that contained cheese!

Hubby noticed it and threw the can in the garbage...I'd have taken it to the store and dropped it in the food bank box but he was so shocked that he just wanted to get rid of it!

Glad your brother noticed it in time Lisa, can you imagine him having a reaction en route? :shock:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:59 am 

Oh yes, it was very scary. It shook him up enough to scare him into getting back into the habit of reading every time.