Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Flix Candy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Well dd saw this candy http://www.flixcandy.com/flixcandy.html -it's basically a soother with a toy that is a silly mouth. She's had some other candy from this company so I thought I'd call about the lactic acid in this to see if it's milk or fruit based. I must say that the people are very friendly and try to be helpful but I got one answer, "Lactic acid? But that's just milk, right?" After I had explained that the allergens we dealt with were milk, egg, peanut, tree nut and most beans. :roll: (Must remember not to lead with the allergen in question)

After I explained that for my child, milk is just as deadly as peanut and that yes, I do mean face and throat swelling up to the point that she can't see or breathe, blood preassure dropping to the point of loss of consciousness and that we have had to give the her Epipen many times (I did lay it on thick).

The men then called me at the end of his business day each day until he was able to confirm the source of the lactic acid. "My candy consultant has verified that this is derived from milk. While lactic acid is not an allergen, he advises that those with severe allergies to milk should not eat it." Not an allergen...right. :roll:

Oh well, I explained it to dd and she said that she was pretty certain that she couldn't eat it but that it was worth checking out!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb