You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:47 pm 

My daughter tested positive to chicken allergy yesterday, but negative for beef. My allergist figures that her minor reactions to beef products have been cross contamination, probably with chicken.

At least with the other allergies our family has, there are companies out there who are aware and post proper may contain warnings if there is a chance of cross contamination. With chicken...no one has a may contain chicken warning. So I have great reason to avoid all processed meats ( hot dogs, meat slices ) even if they are free of chicken and our other allergens.

I don't know if meat departments package meat without coming into contact with the other meats. Is any meat I buy at risk of being in contact with chicken? I hope not, because raw chicken is really germy too. I know that all seafood is packaged in a separate room incase of allergies. I guess it is time to start hunting...and packaging the meat myself :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:31 pm 

We do not have any allergies to meats but we buy our beef directly from a local farmer. We buy a quarter or a half of beef and it is packaged by a local butcher who I believe only deals with beef. An arrangement like this might be an option for you too. Then you would not have to worry about cross contamination in a grocery store meat department. A quarter of beef lasts us (a family of 2 adults and 2 preschoolers) about a year but we also eat a lot of other meat. We have our beef cut and wrapped exactly how we like it. We have been very happy with this type of arrangement. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:15 pm 

Katec, thanks for the advise...that sounds like a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:10 pm 

I am extremely allergic to corn and corn derivatives. I have never had a problem with fresh meat until about 3 years ago when I began to have major reactions without being able to pin-point the source. As it turned out, I was reacting to the corn derived citric acid rinses that they are putting on fresh meat destined for grocery store meat departments and butcher shops. I got a reply from Tyson Foods, who supply much of the beef where I live and yes, corn derived citric acid rinses are WIDELY used in the Fresh Meats Industry. I spent 3 years dealing with golf ball sized cysts until I finally figured out that it was the fresh meat I was eating that was causing my reactions! I now buy my chicken and beef (1/4) from a local farmer and I am having absolutely no problems with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:56 pm 

Who would have thought that fresh meat would have citric acid? Or that citric acid would be from corn? I don't have trouble with meat (my corn allergy isn't that severe) but it is good to know.