You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Health Canada is discussing with manufacturers new labelling of food colouring on products.
Quote:

There is evidence that certain food colours can elicit an allergic response or allergic-type sensitivity in certain individuals (for example, tartrazine, a synthetic food colour; and cochineal, a natural food colour).

It seeks input from stakeholders (not sure who they are) on

Quote:
a proposal to require that food colours be declared by their individual common name; in other words, the option to declare the presence of one or more colours using the general term "colour" would no longer be available. We also seek your opinion on the manner in which individual colours might be declared. Several possible options are suggested below and we would welcome other suggestions as well.

* Require labelling of all food colours by their individual common name or a numerical identifier (e.g. a Colour Identification number);
* Require labelling by the individual common name of all synthetic colours that do not occur in nature and have to undergo a certification process as well as the natural colours cochineal, carmine and annatto (each of which have been associated with allergic or sensitivity responses). All remaining natural colours could be permitted to be identified either by the generic term "colour" or by the common name.

More here: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/consultati ... tt-eng.php

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

:happydance I hate vague statements, anything that can be done to identify the allergens is good in my book!
We were advised to avoid products with caramel in them as this can be made using milk. Most companies are surprised when I call about this ingredient.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb