* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:05 pm 

A very good site with tons of information:

http://www.harmfuladditives.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:08 pm 

Hmmm.... looks like propaganda. Anyone that references Dr. Mercola is not credible. The guy's about as trustworthy as Kevin Trudeau. They play on people's lack of understanding of science. I always think of this famous hoax when I read stuff like this. Ever heard of the dangerous chemical DMHO?

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
may cause severe burns.
is fatal if inhaled.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of Styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

DMHO is one of the many chemical names for water.

If you want a good laugh, here's some more background on this hoax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax

Makes me really, really scrutizine the things that I read on the internet. Mind you, I did watch Food Inc., and it made me very uncomfortable. I grew up on a dairy farm, and much has changed, that's for sure. But the U.S. have very different farming practices than Canada as well. The problem I had with the documentary though, was that they never offered any solutions to how we can feed the world? Organics and vegetarianism are great ideas, but there are just too many people to feed. And most of that food is not affordable for many families.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:21 pm 

I would trust Dr. Mercola more than the FDA, FAAN or Health Canada! As someone with severe corn allergy (which has been swept under the rug by medical professionals and the food/drug industry) I sooooooooo believe that people are being harmed by this crap (a lot of which is made from corn)!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:10 am 
Site Admin

When I see a website that uses fear to motivate it's reader, it raises questions in the back of my mind. I think that there may be some useful information on this website definitions of substances etc. I saw gelatin listed as a dangerous additive. While this may be true if you happen to be allergic to the substance, it isn't by nature, dangerous. I could find nothing in the information that followed that indicated how it was a danger.

I try to take information from several reputable sources, if they are in agreement, I might accept what they present...for now.
Science is not 100%. It is simply what we currently believe to be true, given our limitted scope. It is subject to change as new technology allows us to better investigate and new information is brought to light.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:10 pm 

The reason gelatin is listed is because it is high in glutamates...making it dangerous for those who are sensitive to glutamates. They should have explained this. My daughter will get dizzy and pass out from glutamates...including gelatin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I think that for those who are wondering what is in a specific food-this website is helpful. I just don't like fear mongering-we have enough to worry about!

As a person can be allergic to anything including water or cold temperatures...everything can be considered dangerous.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb